What did you do with your flock today?

I have 5 New Hampshire hens and one RIR hen (my fave) one RIR rooster, weve hatched 19 chicks in Feb and 18 in March - -we did lose one chick of the first 19 ..so all in all 43 - lots of work but I do love to watch them & take care of them.
Wow! That's a lot of chickens! I can only dream of having enough space for that many. I love watching and caring for mine too. They fascinate me.

Beautiful set up you have! I've been quite happy with mine...so much safer for chicks and a higher hatch rate then the mommas have. But this time I decided to let Hennie hatch a few...then the other ladies were making such adorable sounds as they peered into the nestbox...so I just kept watching. Then they were all acting so cute and protective with the babies that I still kept watching...lol.

I'm really impressed with how the whole flocks acting. Today I had doctor appointments so got home late. When I went out to give Hennie and her babies their bedtime mash, they were already in bed. Hennie heard me so kept craning her neck out but stayed put. Next thing I knew one of the other hens was down by the nest and mash and calling just like Hennie does. Sure enough, out popped a baby to have a bite. It was so stinking cute!

Hope I'm right in what I think I'm seeing. The one dead chick has me worried, but pretty sure it was the weather, not another chicken. I haven't seen any aggression at all so far so don't think I will...🤞. My spangles are a small flock and very cohesive. If this goes well, think I'll forever let Hennie hatch any chicks I do of theirs from now on. Have another doctor appointment tomorrow, but I'll try to get pics of the cuteness this weekend.

My youngest wants a Tshirt about stoning naughty boys now btw 🤣🤣🤣

Wow...they really got into it! Hope they're done!
That cake is gorgeous!!! I've never developed a knack for beautiful desert making, but you ladies make me want to try! Making a mental note about rose petals on cakes ❤️❤️❤️

Your flock is adorable. I know I don't want to keep any of these babies but suspect I won't have the heart to take them away. I step into the coop and I already have to watch careful because the chicks run towards me with their family and think nothing of my big feet plopping down right next to them 🤣
How adorable! I remember watching where I place my feet very well! Stanley still likes to hop onto my foot for a ride, lazy little bugger is too idle to walk 🤣
There's no way you'll get rid of these babies, they're already so well integrated...

Oh no! Poor baby. I'm so sorry :hugs
But good news on the other hatches, way to go babies!
Oh so sorry! That is really tuff.
Are you offering chick grit? Self regulating heat? That is all I can think of. I'm so sorry :hugs been a long hard haul.
Yes I am VERY happy about the other hatches. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with these littles. I have a heat plate that is tilted so it can get to the right heat, in fact that is where I found the little one. It wouldn’t come out to eat or drink or anything. So I took it out and gave it some electrolytes and some mesh. It had a HARD time swallowing, it kept its eyes closed for the most part. I had to look in pictures I took shortly after it was hatched and eyes were open. It would stand but it was like it was completely exhausted.

Yes I am VERY happy about the other hatches. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with these littles. I have a heat plate that is tilted so it can get to the right heat, in fact that is where I found the little one. It wouldn’t come out to eat or drink or anything. So I took it out and gave it some electrolytes and some mesh. It had a HARD time swallowing, it kept its eyes closed for the most part. I had to look in pictures I took shortly after it was hatched and eyes were open. It would stand but it was like it was completely exhausted.
I'm so sorry about your Cochin babies. Is it possible the heat plate isn't warm enough or too hot? Maybe place a thermometer under it and see if it's hitting the mark for temperature.

Back
Top Bottom