What did you do with your flock today?

@Smokerbill , what kind of feeder do you have? If a gravity feeder then you can put a larger dish, usually a large plant saucer under it and it will collect the crumble they knock out and give you MUCH less waste. Especially when they are at their goofy teenage, play with food age. If you go with a crumble, Nutrena has a terrific Nuture Right pellet that is not too huge, more just the right size.View attachment 3523009
@TropicalBabies , this is the type of gravity feeder I'm using. There's a bit of a concrete block ledge under the openings, and they do seem to peck the spilled food off of it at times. I'm thinking of building some kind of wooden tray that extends a little further out underneath the feeder hole.

IMG_0966.JPG

@TropicalBabies , this is the type of gravity feeder I'm using. There's a bit of a concrete block ledge under the openings, and they do seem to peck the spilled food off of it at times. I'm thinking of building some kind of wooden tray that extends a little further out underneath the feeder hole.

View attachment 3523184
Oh, that's right. I remember now 🤔
I use plant saucers to catch spills under those too. The nice lip seems to do the trick.
20230530_072319.jpg
20230530_072242.jpg

They work terrific. Excuse the mess.

Today was run to the Coop for a fresh load of both layer can starter grower feed. After all feeders and watering fountains were filled we made a trip to Wally World for a new printer so I can print up higher quality flyers for bulletin boards around town for what we have for sale. Back home made another round of filling water and topping off feeders and now I am letting the roam on auto pilot while I chill in the AC. It's 80° side and they will just have to cope with that while I take a break. Now I have to scrub the front deck down after some of the free loading free rangers decided to fly over the railing and left evidence proving it was them that messed the floor up. No one will confess but I don't need a confession with proof. I am going to get one of those white portable electric fences for chickens and install it around the house for my own sanity.

I gave my chickens their freedom early this afternoon, which is a first. In the past I let them out in the evening. They really liked the bright sun. Some of them were laying on their sides soaking up the rays.

Someone here mentioned chickens like chairs. So I put a broken oak chair in their run. It's now their favorite roosting spot. I've seen four roosting on the chair back, all at the same time. It was tight, but they fit. LOL

IMG_1219.JPG

@Smokerbill , what kind of feeder do you have? If a gravity feeder then you can put a larger dish, usually a large plant saucer under it and it will collect the crumble they knock out and give you MUCH less waste. Especially when they are at their goofy teenage, play with food age. If you go with a crumble, Nutrena has a terrific Nuture Right pellet that is not too huge, more just the right size.View attachment 3523009
I feed mine flock raiser pellets from a hanging feeder that has the sections all the way around. I was also getting a lot of waste from crumbles in a plain hanging feeder. I never see wasted food on the ground anymore.

Well, last eve we lost mom. She had a terrific life, loved and was loved. RIP Bella ♥︎

After conquering the bag disaster yesterday, I was proud and tired. Saved sewing my special order bag for today and it was not as much of a pain as I thought it could be. I had worked it out in my head for days while de-stringing, lol, and it came together nicely and quickly. Despite you know who.
20230530_131444.jpg

Scrubbed waterers, filled feeders early as I knew today would be a different day. Had horse duty among a few extra chores while DH worked on the things he needed to.

Got new bulbs so our zapper is back in action.

Another Lani went broody, so she is in Jail. Hope is still happily and crazily sitting on eggs in the broody coop. Girls gave me 16 eggs today. All is well with the flock. Mazie is happier because of antibiotics and spa treatments 👍👍👍.
Made soup for a friend so chooks got bone meat to chew on for their snack.

No rat yet. Forgot to add cat food like @kurby22 suggested. Tonight I will try that one. Not sure if rat has moved on?? Nothing else to eat in the shop. Maybe it already has a stash so is good for awhile? 🙄🙄🙄 These things, i don't know, but I hope to find out.

I gave my chickens their freedom early this afternoon, which is a first. In the past I let them out in the evening. They really liked the bright sun. Some of them were laying on their sides soaking up the rays.

Someone here mentioned chickens like chairs. So I put a broken oak chair in their run. It's now their favorite roosting spot. I've seen four roosting on the chair back, all at the same time. It was tight, but they fit. LOL

View attachment 3523758
I have a chair in the run that the chickens allow me to sit on. I also have a 5 step ladder that they love to sit on the very top.

Well, last eve we lost mom. She had a terrific life, loved and was loved. RIP Bella ♥︎

After conquering the bag disaster yesterday, I was proud and tired. Saved sewing my special order bag for today and it was not as much of a pain as I thought it could be. I had worked it out in my head for days while de-stringing, lol, and it came together nicely and quickly. Despite you know who.
View attachment 3523916
Scrubbed waterers, filled feeders early as I knew today would be a different day. Had horse duty among a few extra chores while DH worked on the things he needed to.

Got new bulbs so our zapper is back in action.

Another Lani went broody, so she is in Jail. Hope is still happily and crazily sitting on eggs in the broody coop. Girls gave me 16 eggs today. All is well with the flock. Mazie is happier because of antibiotics and spa treatments 👍👍👍.
Made soup for a friend so chooks got bone meat to chew on for their snack.

No rat yet. Forgot to add cat food like @kurby22 suggested. Tonight I will try that one. Not sure if rat has moved on?? Nothing else to eat in the shop. Maybe it already has a stash so is good for awhile? 🙄🙄🙄 These things, i don't know, but I hope to find out.
Hugs on the loss of Bella. Even blessings can make us sad. :hugs

Look at the beautiful kitty tummy! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom