What did you do with your flock today?

Long day today. Neighbor showed up with an injured baby pig. It was a stray that his dogs caught. He was hoping I could nurse it. But I decided it needs more then I could give so I called a pig sanctuary here and took it to their vet for some doctoring. Looked to me like his dog might have bitten down from above the spine and it had a deep gash on its head that might need stitches. It was moving well so think it's easily savable...but just in case there's internal injuries it should see a vet.

That's the second stray pig in this neighborhood in 2 years...both unnuetered males...so feeling grumpy. Either some breeders dumping pigs out here or there's a negligent breeder somewhere not too far. Last pig was scrawny, extremely hungry and had an ear torn off. Anyhow...grumpy making kinda day.

But babies in good hands now and thank God for the hard working, kind and overused pig sanctuary! ❤️

Hopefully I did the graphic pictures right so only seen if you choose.
injured baby View attachment 3588966View attachment 3588967View attachment 3588968

Baby covered with a towel for comfort, calm and warmth View attachment 3588971
Bravo! For both not taking on the little guy and getting it the right care. Yes, upsetting to have a second running around the hood in just 2 years... unless there is a pack of feral desert pigs.... somewhere.... 🤔 haha! Can't see them surviving on sand and cacti.
Don't know how to do the spoiler alert but did like the blurred photos. Did the same trick, with a little spin.

I think the dominant got the first round and they went on down the line in order of rank.
Just saw the subordinate starting to do the deed, and and dominant ran over, knocked him off and continued where the sub left off. LOL

The hen seemed to shake and shudder and fluff her feathers twice as long as normal.

Then the dominant rooster dropped one wing tip to the ground and walked around that same hen. That happened two or three times. What kind of a display is that?

Just saw the subordinate starting to do the deed, and and dominant ran over, knocked him off and continued where the sub left off. LOL

The hen seemed to shake and shudder and fluff her feathers twice as long as normal.

Then the dominant rooster dropped one wing tip to the ground and walked around that same hen. That happened two or three times. What kind of a display is that?
I think that he wanted to impress on her that she belonged to him and not Junior.

Something I forgot to mention about yesterday evening's chicken outing...

I have two cockerels. I can identify the dominant one because he's growing spurs, which are about 1/2 inch long now.

Anyway, the subordinate cockerel mounted one of the pullets and as he was in the act, the dominant one ran over and chased him off. I guess the sub cockerel will have to be more sneaky in the future. LOL
Ferdy runs up to Stan and gently pushes him off when he sees him mating one of the girls, then they often have a low speed chase around a group of planted pots until one gets bored. It's all very civilised 🤣

Long day today. Neighbor showed up with an injured baby pig. It was a stray that his dogs caught. He was hoping I could nurse it. But I decided it needs more then I could give so I called a pig sanctuary here and took it to their vet for some doctoring. Looked to me like his dog might have bitten down from above the spine and it had a deep gash on its head that might need stitches. It was moving well so think it's easily savable...but just in case there's internal injuries it should see a vet.

That's the second stray pig in this neighborhood in 2 years...both unnuetered males...so feeling grumpy. Either some breeders dumping pigs out here or there's a negligent breeder somewhere not too far. Last pig was scrawny, extremely hungry and had an ear torn off. Anyhow...grumpy making kinda day.

But babies in good hands now and thank God for the hard working, kind and overused pig sanctuary! ❤️

injured baby View attachment 3588966View attachment 3588967View attachment 3588968

What a sweetheart! You have such resolve not to want to take it on yourself. I'm sure it will get great care at the sanctuary.

Well, funny thing happened to me when arriving for the cat colonies antibiotic feed at nice man's house this eve.
20230725_174808.jpg

A momma cat had a baby on the carport slab and left it... I guess. Nice man had been holding it for 6 hours thinking it was going to slowly die. He was crushed. I'm sure having had his wife pass about 6 months ago he was getting re traumatized. Poor guy 💔
I dropped it some water in kittins mouth and had him hold it close to his chest to warm baby up. Made my calls, got formula, nipple etc ready for me to pick up. Mixed antibiotic feed and delivered it to the stations and off I went with baby.
20230725_192846.jpg
20230725_192836.jpg

Baby Pakala has some mean neck wounds and still had placenta attached. When I got home I cut the cord but had noting to address the neck wounds. My pet first aid is up the mountain. So, made formula and Pakala latched right on to the nipple and pulled 1.3 mils, impressive! Gave him another 1 mil b4 heading back up the mountain. Thank goodness I was not on motorcycle, and thank goodness i have a ceramic heating pad. Good little traveler.
20230725_204354.jpg

1.8 more mils when we got to cabin and he fell asleep with nipple in mouth and would not detach. Yep. Me thinks Pakala is a boy kitty.
20230725_211351.jpg

I hope the piglet will be safe and healthy at the sanctuary!

Well, funny thing happened to me when arriving for the cat colonies antibiotic feed at nice man's house this eve.View attachment 3589447
A momma cat had a baby on the carport slab and left it... I guess. Nice man had been holding it for 6 hours thinking it was going to slowly die. He was crushed. I'm sure having had his wife pass about 6 months ago he was getting re traumatized. Poor guy 💔
I dropped it some water in kittins mouth and had him hold it close to his chest to warm baby up. Made my calls, got formula, nipple etc ready for me to pick up. Mixed antibiotic feed and delivered it to the stations and off I went with baby.View attachment 3589456View attachment 3589455
Baby Pakala has some mean neck wounds and still had placenta attached. When I got home I cut the cord but had noting to address the neck wounds. My pet first aid is up the mountain. So, made formula and Pakala latched right on to the nipple and pulled 1.3 mils, impressive! Gave him another 1 mil b4 heading back up the mountain. Thank goodness I was not on motorcycle, and thank goodness i have a ceramic heating pad. Good little traveler.View attachment 3589452
1.8 more mils when we got to cabin and he fell asleep with nipple in mouth and would not detach. Yep. Me thinks Pakala is a boy kitty.View attachment 3589453
Poor little baby! With the neck wounds...wonder if that wasn't momma that dropped it.
So glad the fellow saw it and you can care for it ❤️ Lucky baby.
Pakala's going to grow up to be a joy.

Back
Top Bottom