What did you do with your flock today?

It’s been a crazy busy month. I did not have great success (nor did anyone else with chickens) at the Farm Expo and now have too many chickens I can’t seem to sell to anyone 😫 I’m afraid I’m going to end up having to send a bunch to the auction and I really didn’t want to have to do that. 😢 Most of my pure breeds I know I can sell at poultry shows after they grow out more, but the bantam EEs are much harder.

Sooo, I had to get creative and build a couple coops to put outside that they can grow out in. I NEED the chickens out of my house 🤪🤪🤪🤪 I found a lady on Marketplace selling homemade garden boxes…and viola! I have two decent sized coops for less than $200 total thanks to all the scrap wood I have from last years coop builds. Here’s the first one before we added the metal roof to the top!

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpeg

I’m quite proud of it! Went together in one day, start to finish. Just had to buy the paint, wallpaper and flooring 🙃 I’ve found that it’s a great way to keep the wood from being a home to mites (when painted and papered) and it’s easier to clean when you spend the bit extra on the wallpaper and floors.

I’m going to finish the second one tomorrow or Wednesday and then I can move out all but about 30 chicks still on heat and I’m sooo excited 😆

County Fair poultry show is this Friday too, so we switch gears from coops and chicks by Wednesday and start baths and bird prep! I can’t wait till May is over and I get to have a couple months of down time 🤪

I do have some pretty adorable chicks right now though…people are missing out! 😋

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_0972.jpeg

🥰

It’s been a crazy busy month. I did not have great success (nor did anyone else with chickens) at the Farm Expo and now have too many chickens I can’t seem to sell to anyone 😫 I’m afraid I’m going to end up having to send a bunch to the auction and I really didn’t want to have to do that. 😢 Most of my pure breeds I know I can sell at poultry shows after they grow out more, but the bantam EEs are much harder.

Sooo, I had to get creative and build a couple coops to put outside that they can grow out in. I NEED the chickens out of my house 🤪🤪🤪🤪 I found a lady on Marketplace selling homemade garden boxes…and viola! I have two decent sized coops for less than $200 total thanks to all the scrap wood I have from last years coop builds. Here’s the first one before we added the metal roof to the top!

View attachment 3838953
View attachment 3838954
I’m quite proud of it! Went together in one day, start to finish. Just had to buy the paint, wallpaper and flooring 🙃 I’ve found that it’s a great way to keep the wood from being a home to mites (when painted and papered) and it’s easier to clean when you spend the bit extra on the wallpaper and floors.

I’m going to finish the second one tomorrow or Wednesday and then I can move out all but about 30 chicks still on heat and I’m sooo excited 😆

County Fair poultry show is this Friday too, so we switch gears from coops and chicks by Wednesday and start baths and bird prep! I can’t wait till May is over and I get to have a couple months of down time 🤪

I do have some pretty adorable chicks right now though…people are missing out! 😋

View attachment 3838957
View attachment 3838958
View attachment 3838959
🥰
absolutely adorable chicks! Sorry your sales weren't better this weekend. That's disappointing. And great little grow out coop! Clever for sure!

View attachment 3838953
View attachment 3838954

View attachment 3838957
View attachment 3838958
View attachment 3838959
🥰
I love the wallpaper! Such a wonderfully crafted coop! Mites don't like paint? I may need to disassemble and paint if that works.

Yesterday while on the back deck talking to my friend I noticed one of my black pullets caught in the netting, and she was stuck mid air as if in a hammock. I rushed down, and DH helped me by cutting the netting away. She had abrasions on the underside of her wing, there was a little blood on a rock nearby. No idea when she had gotten stuck there, but must've been earlier in the morning. Sprayed Vetrimycin on her, rinsed poo off her tail feathers, dried her off and set her down. She was a bit off balance and wobbly, but not for long. I think she must've gotten a cramp, or disoriented from hanging laying on her back. So glad she is ok, and I couldn't tell her apart from the others as the day progressed.

Yesterday while on the back deck talking to my friend I noticed one of my black pullets caught in the netting, and she was stuck mid air as if in a hammock. I rushed down, and DH helped me by cutting the netting away. She had abrasions on the underside of her wing, there was a little blood on a rock nearby. No idea when she had gotten stuck there, but must've been earlier in the morning. Sprayed Vetrimycin on her, rinsed poo off her tail feathers, dried her off and set her down. She was a bit off balance and wobbly, but not for long. I think she must've gotten a cramp, or disoriented from hanging laying on her back. So glad she is ok, and I couldn't tell her apart from the others as the day progressed.
That is scary!!! Glad she is okay!!! I have had netting over our run for years, and have had that happen when the netting fell do to storms. We don't have it now, but of course that means we have to worry about aerial predators.

View attachment 3838953
View attachment 3838954

View attachment 3838957
View attachment 3838958
View attachment 3838959
🥰
Wow! Great coop!
And I'd happily take any (or all) those chicks off your hands 😍

Back
Top Bottom