What did you have to learn the hard way? (management stuff)

Incubating is really much more involved than it seems.
hmm.png
I set twenty four eggs (purchased from a hatchery/shipped via mail) into a forced air styro bator. I joined BYC the same day, thought I had read everything on the subject in books, magazines, online, etc and prepared as best as I could. Temps and humidity were terrible to try and maintain. Ambient temps around bator were never stable and varied by thirty degrees daily. Candling went and appeared great on days seven, fourteen and eighteen. Forgot to apply some of the remedial steps and probably over did some of the more complex items. Long story short, day twenty one produced a chick. Day twenty two, another chick, but she was a struggle and syringe fed for two days while she fought for her life. Happy to report, both are doing well now.
smile.png
Still determined, balance of eggs remained in bator until day twenty six with no more hatching. Today was a heart breaker as they went into the garbage can.
sad.png

If you have an egg that looks like this:
39865_spinningglobe.gif
when you candle it, go buy some paraffin.
Dipping one end (the narrow one) of the egg will help slow the movement of water through the shell.
Unfortunately I heard this after eggs A, B, C, E, & F hatched. D (the sole porous-shelled egg) was a half-formed dud. *sigh*

(ETA everything in parentheses.)

Last edited:
I learned that a baby chick can escape from a hole as thin as a razer blade or hole the size of a pea!
ep.gif

I learned that baby chicks dig to get OUT... at the same time snakes are trying to get IN
he.gif

I learned that losing some chicks is just part of nature and you have to be strong, deal with it.... and hatch another batch to feel better:hit

Having chickens is worth every second and I would do it all over again!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

I learned that sooner (rather than later) all critters become my responsibility here.
That we really do have BIG snakes around here.
Too carefully look in the nest boxes before sticking my hand or face inside (see previous line)
That the only day I don't check feed and water (no matter what was done the day before) is the one day it all runs out, gets tipped over or otherwise made unuseable.
Beginning to learn to watch for that glazed eye look when going on (and on) about my chickens to non-chicken people - so that means everybody I know.
When a website says "WARNING: addictive" they really mean it.
big_smile.png

I have learned that my husband who said he didnt like chickens really does or why would he go out and spend time with them and pet them?
love.gif

It really takes a lot to stress out my chickens because they grew up in the chaos which is my life.

That watching videos of your chickens laying eggs never gets old.
pop.gif

If I am having a bad day I can always count on my women to run and chase a bug and make me laugh.

Even though you think your totally crazy about your chicken addiction there is always someone on here that is worse!!

Yes there is a "too many" and I reached it a while back or so my husband tells me.

Let friends and family know you are always on the look out for building supplies and fencing materials.

I never thought I would go through that huge pile of egg cartons and need more.

If you combine your flocks for summer, there will be an underdog. He will be your "best" breed and he is going to look awful.
roll.png

On the white and red waters..if you are in a hurry they WILL pop open and splash water all over you!

Hide the incubator. It will call your name, in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom