What did you use for roofing on your run?

Peep Peeper

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
What materials did you use on the roof to your run? I thought there was a metal roofing we could use that has almost a round wave like pattern to it, but I can't find it. Anything close that we've found locally is plastic. Thanks!

I think you mean corrugated metal roofing. That is a simple wave pattern to it. There are other metal roofing types - most can be found at a Lowe's or Home Depot store but if those aren't available, you could find some metal roofing at a sheet metal company too. Metal is good if you plan to harvest rain from your coop roof, asphalt shingles will lose some of it's surface over time. Metal roofing is going to last a long time and is very durable. Some brands even come in various colors too.

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell "cut-to-length" metal roofing and some stores have precut sheets available in the store. You have to go to the contactor/builder desk in the lumber section to order the sheet metal. Sometimes the employees (and even managers) have NO CLUE what they are doing with the sheet metal, so it is best if you know exactly what you want before you go to the desk. Other smaller-known chains like Southern States and 84 Lumber also sell sheet metal. Some independent contractors also sell it. It is good to shop around, as the price can vary quite a bit - we've seen differences of $.60 per foot, which adds up fast if you place a big order.

You will have several choices - 26g is heavier than 29g, and costs more.

Painted or galvalume (plain silver)? There are a wide range of colors, so you can match just about anything if you want. If you go with painted, be sure to order matching screws!

There are different patterns in the bend of the metal, too. Some sheets are 2' wide, while others are 3'. Be sure to check when you purchase, so you know how many sheets you need to cover your roof.

Special ordering "cut-to-length" is REALLY handy. The metal is precut to the length you need, and then packaged/palleted so it can be easily set on a trailer of truck bed.

We just priced 29g gavalume 5v pattern on Thursday, and it was $1.98 a foot. These are 2' wide sheets. We need to repair a metal barn roof that was improperly installed by the previous homeowner. In order to do that, we have to match the sheet metal pattern that is already there.

The pictures below are a shed and 2 roofs that we put up about a year ago using 26g painted metal with matching screws.

I have been thinking about the same thing. My run is made from privacy fence so no sun or air really comes in through the sides. I thought the 6 ft height would keep the chickens in, but of course not, so now I need a roof. I was thinking about using the clear plastic panels made with the wave pattern. It would allow sun through. Anyone have an luck with this?

... I was thinking about using the clear plastic panels made with the wave pattern. It would allow sun through. Anyone have an luck with this?

I considered using the clear panels, especially since my run has solid walls on the north and west sides. I was worried that the run would not get enough sunlight, but it is actually perfect. The metal roof gives me tons of cool shade in the summer, and it seems that the lower winter sun is able to light up the run for most of the day in the colder months.

I used the clear corrugated 12ft panels love them, it is a lot cooler in the summer yet allows plenty of sunshine at least 15 degrees cooler and keeps everything nice and dry, very easy to work with and to cut.

Back
Top Bottom