What did you use for your inside walls?

Manda.......the beadboard is not necessary. But it was the cheapest material that I wanted to cover the insulation I put in the walls. When I get ready it easy to wash off the walls as I don't let poop stay anywhere. To me if you leave it you're just asking for most any parisite to come live there.

The sand is deepest under the roost, but it is throughout the coop. Two inches everywhere else but 2 under the roost. I bought 10 bags of playsand off a lady that didn't need it for a dollar a bag, plus I had some left from way back when I built my chimney. Now I replace what comes out with the poop everymorning at a rate of a bag of sand a month. I have two scoops. One for the poop which is a kitty litter scoop and one I made of screen door wire. Ever so often I use the screen to filter the dirt and very small dry pieces of poop to keep the sand clean. I just don't allow any droppings to stay in the coop. I don't know what the chickens think but I'm their boss so that what we do.
smile.png

As for changing, I don't. I just replace it when enough has been removed to need replenishing. It so easy to keep clean I just don't understand why everybody don't do it.
hmm.png

I would think the chickens would eat the plasterboard. They certainly eat any styrofoam and caulking they can here. Also are found of paint drips. I agree with the double walls hiding critters. The only place we insulated was the roof, and finish/covered it with thin plywood from packing crates.

I'm finishing the interior of mine out with 7/16 OSB for about $5 for a 4x8 sheet at Lowes. I use cheap semi-gloss oil paint in light gray inside the coop because it is still bright but doesn't show poop smears as bad as white does.

I used an inexpensive piece of linolium(spelling?) on the wall where they roost, works great for cleaning,plus waterproof.
Otherwise the rest of the coop is natural wood, it doesnt get dirty at all, we only have 4 girls now, lost our first a couple of days ago
sad.png

Ok...here's something a little different.....the ceiling, wall and floor are covered with political lawn signs ( you can see my page ). They are recycled, dual-walled plastic, good insulation, very durable and stirs quite a conversation with visitors....and the girls are surrounded by a very patriotic red, white and blue....lol

With the attitude these girls have now, one thing I'm not going to do now is get them started in politics. They poop enough now. If they get involved in politics they might probably have the poop all each other . No way will I start them down that road. I'll just leave them to their pecking order.

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought your political sign walls were a great idea....until my husband pointed out, "Yeah, but do her eggs lean to the left?"

Last edited:
My chook coop is just a metal and wire cage with a tin roof. It is really big though! We have bought our first home and I found a pile of old plasterboard in one of the sheds....can I use this to make the coop a bit nicer for them? I will paint it with a white sealing paint first....

Back
Top Bottom