What did your chickens do today?

Mine do.

Sad to say that one of my chickens disappeared today. Can't find her anywhere. :(
I'm sorry about your chicken. I hope you find her. I cried when I lost mine. Now I'm too overprotective. It drives my hubby nuts. Bits it's easy for me since I only have two to look after.

Lib, did you have to find a home for your rescues?
Yes a friend has a farm and raises chickens. He is picking them up tomorrow :) Pigpen doesn't like them much, but he gets along with the one that I was told is a light Brahma rooster really well lol. I'm going to try to keep him. I call him Joe Dirt. He's really easy going and he will defend Lucy when she gets too close to his flock and they pick at her. Although she has no problems kicking butt on her own I found out.

Yes a friend has a farm and raises chickens. He is picking them up tomorrow
smile.png
Pigpen doesn't like them much, but he gets along with the one that I was told is a light Brahma rooster really well lol. I'm going to try to keep him. I call him Joe Dirt. He's really easy going and he will defend Lucy when she gets too close to his flock and they pick at her. Although she has no problems kicking butt on her own I found out.

I hate that you weren't able to keep them. But on the other hand if PigPen's safety could be an issue that's something big to consider. Either way, I'm glad they're being taken better care of than their previous owners.
celebrate.gif

It's amazing how much they grew in just the week we had them. There's one that looks exactly like Pig (I call him mini-me) who's obviously the "alpha" and a real jerk :( but Pig was twice his size hence mini-me now they are eye to eye. Amazing what can happen when you feed something :( poor guys...

My crazy RIR hens kept chasing the fireworks the kids were lighting ... The rest were all cool and calm but the two RIR girls kept coming over to the yard and chasing the sound.. Silly girls Ive never seen anything like it. After the 2nd time I just locked them into the run.. They were none too happy with me.. Silly critters.

It's amazing how much they grew in just the week we had them. There's one that looks exactly like Pig (I call him mini-me) who's obviously the "alpha" and a real jerk
sad.png
but Pig was twice his size hence mini-me now they are eye to eye. Amazing what can happen when you feed something
sad.png
poor guys...

It certainly does make a big difference! My mother keeps complaining that the Black Australorp, Welsummer, and Buff Orpington chicks she got from my batches are so much smaller than mine. I have told her if she'd feed hers more than once a day they'd grow like mine. The pen she has them in was used for chickens and dogs (separately) years ago. So there are massive worm beds in it. She seems to think because they're constantly digging up worms that one feeding a day is enough. She might be right, but I free range and feed twice a day and they get a special treat (ie. watermelon) most days.

JNB:

Haha your chickens are much braver than mine are. I had to run hubs and our son out of the back yard yesterday. They had some M80s or something along that line and my chickens scattered like a hawk just landed in the middle of them. I suppose we're doing all our fireworks in the front yard tonight.

My crazy RIR hens kept chasing the fireworks the kids were lighting ... The rest were all cool and calm but the two RIR girls kept coming over to the yard and chasing the sound.. Silly girls Ive never seen anything like it. After the 2nd time I just locked them into the run.. They were none too happy with me.. Silly critters.
There was a big display in the next town with the "big" fireworks that sound like a cannon going off and made mine a nervous wreck. Every boom they'd both jump and "BAWK BAWK BAWK BAGACK!"

Back
Top Bottom