Well, my baby Boneheads are going to be 7 wks old tomorrow. Their little bright orange legs have faded to a dull dreamcicle color and are turning various shades of grey, and they are much taller than they were even a short three weeks ago. šŸŽµThey are big šŸŽ¶keets now!šŸŽ¶
Theyā€™ve started jousting among themselves and sometimes with a couple of the teen Boneheads - all under Momā€™s or Dadā€™s watchful eye. Their favorite treat is broccoli slaw and my favorite treat is to have them run to me to get it!

I am happy with mine every day, and moreso now that my chicken raised keets (whose leader they decided for whatever reason, is my black showgirl rooster) have adopted their younger raised by me keets- all are sweet. I love that they chase the Silkie and NN around and listen to them when they call them. They also are happy to go to the barn and roost inside, like good little guineas. I freaking adore them. The Silkie and NN are Lenny and Squiggy.
They are beautiful!

My father taught me to not process guineas by chopping their heads off. He claimed it would cauise their bodies to become black and blue. His method was to shoot them in the head with a .22.
Interesting. How does the blood draining process go?

Interesting. How does the blood draining process go?
It worked well enough for me because I removed the head as soon as the guinea was dead. If you are concerned about blood draining, pithing works well and has the benefit of making plucking easier.

If you are unfamiliar with pithing, do a search for pithing in the Meat birds forum.

My father taught me to not process guineas by chopping their heads off. He claimed it would cauise their bodies to become black and blue. His method was to shoot them in the head with a .22.
Does that go for chickens, too?

Back
Top Bottom