I donā€™t know if you recall that initially I took the keets away from mama then thought I had made a huge mistake and started giving them back to her one or two at a time until she had eight. (I had read so many things about guineas being terrible parents and was being cautiously optimistic. Turns out to be the best thing ever!) Anyway, the last baby I gave back was almost two wks old when mama got her back; welcomed with opened arms, blended right in with the others. However, this baby is always last: last to get up to follow its parents, last to get to the food or water dish, last to get on the roost at nightā€¦just last. Now that theyā€™re older, it lags even farther behind, often just standing or laying in the yard by itself. It is noticeably small than the others, but doesnā€™t get picked on like the runt teen Bonehead does. Iā€™m thinking of putting it in a pen with two RIR chicks that are the same age; in fact it was initially in the brooder with them until I gave it back to mama. Do you think this is ok or should I just leave observe?

I donā€™t know if you recall that initially I took the keets away from mama then thought I had made a huge mistake and started giving them back to her one or two at a time until she had eight. (I had read so many things about guineas being terrible parents and was being cautiously optimistic. Turns out to be the best thing ever!) Anyway, the last baby I gave back was almost two wks old when mama got her back; welcomed with opened arms, blended right in with the others. However, this baby is always last: last to get up to follow its parents, last to get to the food or water dish, last to get on the roost at nightā€¦just last. Now that theyā€™re older, it lags even farther behind, often just standing or laying in the yard by itself. It is noticeably small than the others, but doesnā€™t get picked on like the runt teen Bonehead does. Iā€™m thinking of putting it in a pen with two RIR chicks that are the same age; in fact it was initially in the brooder with them until I gave it back to mama. Do you think this is ok or should I just leave observe?
Personally I would leave it be. I will not put guineas with chickens.

Personally I would leave it be. I will not put guineas with chickens.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™ll do then. Right now the guineas and chickens are in the same fenced area (about qtr acre with separate sleep areas). It hasnā€™t been an issue until the last few daysā€¦guinea daddy is getting aggressive with the hens.

I chop the heads off of chickens and have no problems. The pithing method works for any poultry.
Iā€™m not sure I will ever be skilled enough to pith a bird. My neighbor processes his with a cone. Iā€™ll probably get him to do ours.

Found guinea hen #1 on a nest again. 3rd time for this season. Luckily we keep finding her before the fox. Wish her eggs were fertile for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom