What disease is this?

Yeah, that's why I'm perplexed. I've never seen this before and I tried to do some research on it and didn't find anything.

I would start by washing it off and seeing if it comes back. If it doesn't, I would assume they somehow got into something. If it does come back, then I really don't know. Unless they're messing themselves up with their feed - getting it wet and then it's getting caked onto their heads.

I don't think it is food. They get fed in the same way with the same food as all the previous ducklings, I find it hard to believe that these 5 from the same farm (not same nest by the way! same father, 3 different mothers) all are miraclious so stupid that they can't eat properly. Wait.....The 2 from mother 1 have it mildly, the 2 from mother 2 heavy, the 1 from mother 3 really heavy. I realise now. Could it be a genetic too active gland/ear-something from the father? (thinking out loud here)

Interesting. I haven't seen anything like it either. Could we see more pics? Very curious.

What type of bedding do you use? Maybe an allergic reaction to something?

The same straw from the same bale as the previous ones had. The last 4 days just ground and grass, the temperatures have been so high over here, and I hoped some fresh dry air and sunlight might help, that they have been outside with a cardboard box shelter and towel and for the rest just earth and grass. It made little change.

I will try to make more pictures in the evening. I'm alone now and a duck in one hand and a camera in the other is quite a challenge :p

What sort of drinking water set up do they have?
Could it be an over active oil gland problem? Are they able to bathe daily?

When you get pictures, take one of their oil glands too.
I think it’s more likely to be something unnatural though.. looks like my cat who used to sleep in car engines and get motor oil and dirt caked in her face. Maybe a picture of where they’re staying could jog some ideas?

What sort of drinking water set up do they have?
Could it be an over active oil gland problem? Are they able to bathe daily?

I don't know the English word. But a drinking tower(?) like this, small size. During the day they have acces to a supervised shallow bath to bathe in. When in contact with water it apparently itches more, they immediately start slamming their heads on the ground and scratching when they put their head in water. I will try to film this. It looks horrible, the head slamming. When they are just with their body's in the water it's fine.
How do duck ears and water work? Could it be the ears, since they start to headslam when they have tried to was their heads?

Picture not working.. a plastic cone shaped drinking tower you also use for chickens. You put it upside down to fil it, turn it back, and in a ridge around it is water.
drinkpotten_huismerk-2-800x800.jpg

Last edited:
I would think if it was an ear problem the ear would look more irritated. But I imagine it would definitely hurt to get water into a painful ear. It might also be hurting them if it’s some yucky oil/grease and the water is causing it to leak into their eyes? Just throwing ideas out there.
Or maybe it is some crazy genetic thing, and the seller got angry because he knew they were messed up and felt defensive? Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom