What disease is this?

I found this;

Cheyletiella Mange
Cheyletiella mange, also known as "walking dandruff," produces scaly skin, but is not as itchy as the other mange mites. Owners often report it looks like cradle cap in kids, dry scalp, and a bit flaky. This is the only mange that crosses species and will spread to cats, birds, and humans. In humans, this mange produces pimple lesions which appear on the inside of the arms. Humans are a temporary host as they do not like living on us."

My partner had a lot of pimples in the inside of his arms during this time!
And when it just started I couldn't sleep one night because I felt stuff crawling on me everywhere. I managed to grab something that was biting me and it looked like a mite. Not a flee and not a bedbug. We changed the sheets and didn't have any bother anymore.
But if it is a mite, the vet should have found them?

But this one; also has the greasy stuff, the above one is dry;
Demodectic Mange
Demodectic mange, also known as follicular mange or red mange, occurs when mites suddenly multiply beyond what the dog can tolerate. This skin disease is caused by the mite, Demodex canis. Demodex is common in many species of animals. Some have suggested that it is a normal inhabitant of the skin. No matter what, if your dog is showing signs, you need to treat and eliminate if possible.

The primary symptom is patchy hair loss, usually occurring around the eyes and the face, often with a greasy or moist appearance. Demodex is not contagious and dogs only pick up Demodex as babies while they are nursing during the first two weeks of life. They cannot acquire Demodex after that age. Demodex in cats is uncommon, but if a cat gets this, it affects their head and neck area.

And this one; could be uneasy to find for the vet;

Ear Mites
Ear mites are just a mange mite that lives in the ear and face areas. They tend to hide in the scale and debris where they are protected from topical treatments that cannot reach them.

I found this;

Cheyletiella Mange
Cheyletiella mange, also known as "walking dandruff," produces scaly skin, but is not as itchy as the other mange mites. Owners often report it looks like cradle cap in kids, dry scalp, and a bit flaky. This is the only mange that crosses species and will spread to cats, birds, and humans. In humans, this mange produces pimple lesions which appear on the inside of the arms. Humans are a temporary host as they do not like living on us."

My partner had a lot of pimples in the inside of his arms during this time!
And when it just started I couldn't sleep one night because I felt stuff crawling on me everywhere. I managed to grab something that was biting me and it looked like a mite. Not a flee and not a bedbug. We changed the sheets and didn't have any bother anymore.
But if it is a mite, the vet should have found them?

But this one; also has the greasy stuff, the above one is dry;
Demodectic Mange
Demodectic mange, also known as follicular mange or red mange, occurs when mites suddenly multiply beyond what the dog can tolerate. This skin disease is caused by the mite, Demodex canis. Demodex is common in many species of animals. Some have suggested that it is a normal inhabitant of the skin. No matter what, if your dog is showing signs, you need to treat and eliminate if possible.

The primary symptom is patchy hair loss, usually occurring around the eyes and the face, often with a greasy or moist appearance. Demodex is not contagious and dogs only pick up Demodex as babies while they are nursing during the first two weeks of life. They cannot acquire Demodex after that age. Demodex in cats is uncommon, but if a cat gets this, it affects their head and neck area.

And this one; could be uneasy to find for the vet;

Ear Mites
Ear mites are just a mange mite that lives in the ear and face areas. They tend to hide in the scale and debris where they are protected from topical treatments that cannot reach them.
Oh wow! Can’t believe I didn’t think of mange! That makes perfect sense, I’m so used to seeing demodex on dogs but I guess this is how it would show on a duck. You’d think the vet would’ve noticed if she sent samples to a lab.. did she do a skin scraping or did she just sample the mucus stuff?

Good thing you kept them away from the others, but now you know it’s not hereditary, if it is indeed mange. If I were you I’d call that vet ASAP and get medicated shampoo. Hope it didn’t spread to any other animals :fl

Oh wow! Can’t believe I didn’t think of mange! That makes perfect sense, I’m so used to seeing demodex on dogs but I guess this is how it would show on a duck. You’d think the vet would’ve noticed if she sent samples to a lab.. did she do a skin scraping or did she just sample the mucus stuff?

Good thing you kept them away from the others, but now you know it’s not hereditary, if it is indeed mange. If I were you I’d call that vet ASAP and get medicated shampoo. Hope it didn’t spread to any other animals :fl

She plucked out a headfeather from one's head and scraped some of the chunky stuff and put in under a microscope.

But what Lydia says; is it possible to get rid of mite with only babyshampoo? Or did I just reduce it and will it come back if I stop with the washing?
I never tried washing an animals with mites with shampoo before, just bought a mite-spray.

I will contact the vet again and ask her opinion if this might be a possibillity, the mites.

She plucked out a headfeather from one's head and scraped some of the chunky stuff and put in under a microscope.

But what Lydia says; is it possible to get rid of mite with only babyshampoo? Or did I just reduce it and will it come back if I stop with the washing?
I never tried washing an animals with mites with shampoo before, just bought a mite-spray.

I will contact the vet again and ask her opinion if this might be a possibillity, the mites.
I’ve never had to deal with cheyletiella before, just demodex. If it is mange, then it would be cheyletiella, as demodex isn’t contagious and the dandruff + crawling sensations are telltale signs of cheyletiella. Apparently cheyletiella is visible to the naked eye, unlike most mange mites, but I do not know how true that is. I’ve never seen it in person.
Some types of mange can only be seen with a proper skin scraping, so I think it is possible your vet just missed them. Wouldn’t hurt to call her.

Baby shampoo would not get rid of mange, if that’s what it is, but it would temporarily soothe the irritation. Anti-dandruff shampoo helps mild cases, a shampoo specifically designed for mange contains similar ingredients as dandruff shampoo for humans. In severe cases, an animal might have to be dipped in a solution or given ivermectin. Antibiotics might also be given for secondary skin infections.

Demodex mites live in the skin, you cannot wash them off. They are hard to find, even with a skin scraping, you have to scrape hard enough to draw blood. Plucking a feather and looking at the waxy debris will not find them. IF it is demodex, my guess is that as the duckings have grown and with good care, their immune systems have strengthened enough to deal with them. They will still have them and in times of stress could have a flare up. Ivermectin is effective against demodex. It is not contagious to people or other animals. Given that your partner had the pimple thing, I would think that cheyletellia mites are more likely.

Demodex mites live in the skin, you cannot wash them off. They are hard to find, even with a skin scraping, you have to scrape hard enough to draw blood. Plucking a feather and looking at the waxy debris will not find them. IF it is demodex, my guess is that as the duckings have grown and with good care, their immune systems have strengthened enough to deal with them. They will still have them and in times of stress could have a flare up. Ivermectin is effective against demodex. It is not contagious to people or other animals. Given that your partner had the pimple thing, I would think that cheyletellia mites are more likely.
I don’t think birds can even get demodex. It’s generally transferred from mom to nursing puppies, I don’t see how a duck could get it and I don’t think they would stay long if it did.

I don’t think birds can even get demodex. It’s generally transferred from mom to nursing puppies, I don’t see how a duck could get it and I don’t think they would stay long if it did.

The website doesn't says more about it then; 'Demodex is common in many species of animals'. What animals exactly is not specified.

The website doesn't says more about it then; 'Demodex is common in many species of animals'. What animals exactly is not specified.
It’s talking about mammals. It’s commonly seen in raccoons, coyotes, deer populations, etc. anything that nurses it’s young, mostly sickly mammals with lowered immune systems. The only bird specific mite I am aware of is the one that causes scaly legs.
Cheyletellia prefers hairy mammals but would hop on any animal for at least a little while, I believe.

It’s talking about mammals. It’s commonly seen in raccoons, coyotes, deer populations, etc. anything that nurses it’s young, mostly sickly mammals with lowered immune systems. The only bird specific mite I am aware of is the one that causes scaly legs.
Cheyletellia prefers hairy mammals but would hop on any animal for at least a little while, I believe.

That second one mentioned stickyness and wetness.
The first one was described as dry. But since ducks have oilglands, they might have not been able to spread the oil right due to the scales, and it kinda got stuck around the scales on their heads creating the greasy look?

Back
Top Bottom