What disease is this?

Pics
That second one mentioned stickyness and wetness.
The first one was described as dry. But since ducks have oilglands, they might have not been able to spread the oil right due to the scales, and it kinda got stuck around the scales on their heads creating the greasy look?
In my experience, demodectic mange really isn’t that wet. It can be really really nasty and oozy, but it’s more like a massive crusty hotspot than the grease from your ducks. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Also makes them smell terrible, but if it’s extremely disgusting then there’s probably a secondary skin infection. I still can’t find any cases of birds with demodex.
My vet once showed me pictures of a dog that had both demodex and cheyletiella he was very oozy, greasy, and flakey. I wish I had more experience with mange to be of more help, sorry. Maybe it’s cheyletiella with a secondary fungal or yeast infection.
I’m very curious to hear what your vet says about it, if anything.

Finally got the chance to upload some pictures, for whom it might interest.
The first picture is the same one as in the opening post.
The second one the whole group (minus one).

eindje5.jpg
eindje1.jpg

Will you be keeping them they look very healthy

Well..I think so. 1 of them. Since it might be not so genetic after all, and they are very healthy otherwise and have a great personality.
Not all; we haven't sexed them yet.. since no males can stay... and we kinda want to enjoy them longer before knowing who has to leave.. we are waiting for the adult cloth to reveal it, and live in this fantasy a bit longer.

Still a bit doubt. We have decided to rigorious change the unhealthy Indian runner duck market in the Netherlands. Breeding only for health and character. With pedigree. But not for shows.
Next spring we are getting ducks from pedigree-show parents as a start from Germany, U.K., Belgium and Italy.
I hope these good genes will run through and 'cancel' some 'bad genes' (if it is genetic) in the one duck that stays from this litter. But I also worry that I might ruin the good healthy bloodlines..but on the other hand.. you don't know if you don't try, no man aboard if the offspring is not as healthy as expected; we can just stop the breeding with those bloodlines.
Discisions...discisions.. pfff.

Runners must be popular there ?

They are suddenly because a local famous garden-show host said that they are THE solution to the big buxus-moth plague we have.
So a lot of money-making baddies saw an oppurtunity to make some money and put some runner ducks in a public pond, take the eggs, hatch them in a hatching-machine and sell them for 10 euro a piece. Not minding who the parents are, if they are healthy, feeding them proper food or giving them health care, or if they have mated with regular ducks. So the health-standard and all other standards are about a 4 out of 10 now if you buy an Indian runner duck over here.

Back
Top Bottom