What do coturnix like to eat?

of course feeding them goodies doesn't affect their growth! Feed is one thing, goodies is another thing. I breed for size, conformation, and color and still feed them left overs. Same to the chickens. That does not mean that I am not raising for size...

Quote:
i think i read i one of your fairly recent posts that had given them apple and how they loved it..that's when i started offering it to mine...boy are they happy about that!
clap.gif

Quote:
i think i read i one of your fairly recent posts that had given them apple and how they loved it..that's when i started offering it to mine...boy are they happy about that!
clap.gif

Oh You should see how the chickens react! Forget the apple slices...sometimes those guys take the whole apple! I just have to be careful with apple seeds.

Quote:
clap.gif

Oh You should see how the chickens react! Forget the apple slices...sometimes those guys take the whole apple! I just have to be careful with apple seeds.

strictnine( sorry ..spelling..LOL) in apple seeds right?

i've also thought of offering them Hot peppers cuz a friend has turkeys that think the best food on earth is hot peppers .They get into them and then chase each other all over to try to steal what the other has...haha

Quote:
I buy flax seed at Whole Foods in the bulk section by the lb and it's CHEAP. I normally grind it and put a tsp in my granola cereal. Can they eat it ground?
wink.png
We gave them some apples today and they did like picking at it.

We're not growing for size per se.... we mostly want them as pets and for eggs. No plans to eat them.

Hamptons, I'm SURE they'd eat it ground or whole, or whatever you have! I've seen a couple of websites that suggest that this will increase the Omega 3's in the quail eggs. Dunno if it's true or not. Haven't really researched it much. (And, I was thinking of THISTLE seed when I said this is what you feed to finches, ROFL. Duh. My birds get thistle seed to, a time or two each week. So, I was confusing the two for a second. That's what I get for multi-tasking...)

Quote:
You are a person after my own feed guidelines
smile.png
It's not just about size with me, but more about nutrition, egg production, and the general welfare of my birds.

As Shelly says...they will eat "EVERYTHING" Including poo! Just because they love to eat it, doesn't mean that it's good for them.
Avoid iceberg lettuce!!! It's an egg laying killer, also high fat, low protein grains like corn. Either is fine for a treat, but over feeding will result in egg loss. If you must feed greens, (Because you like to see your birds go crazy) then pick highly nutritious greens like kale, collards, spinach, turnip, mustard, or anything in the cabbage line. Substituting a few cents worth of kale for $1 worth of oyster shell is very cost effective, because coturnix metabolize calcium from their food, rather than having to eat a ton of oyster shell like chickens, and other galiaformes.

Just my opinion!

Quote:
You are a person after my own feed guidelines
smile.png
It's not just about size with me, but more about nutrition, egg production, and the general welfare of my birds.

As Shelly says...they will eat "EVERYTHING" Including poo! Just because they love to eat it, doesn't mean that it's good for them.
Avoid iceberg lettuce!!! It's an egg laying killer, also high fat, low protein grains like corn. Either is fine for a treat, but over feeding will result in egg loss. If you must feed greens, (Because you like to see your birds go crazy) then pick highly nutritious greens like kale, collards, spinach, turnip, mustard, or anything in the cabbage line. Substituting a few cents worth of kale for $1 worth of oyster shell is very cost effective, because coturnix metabolize calcium from their food, rather than having to eat a ton of oyster shell like chickens, and other galiaformes.

Just my opinion!

thanks Joe .That's very helpful information to know !
thumbsup.gif

I cut up a nice juicy dark red tomato and they LOVED it! Def going to get them some dark greens like kale/spinach etc. The grocery store sometimes has them on quick sale because they are soon to expire..... they'd eat it in a day anyway!
lol.png
Going to post pics in a new thread......

Back
Top Bottom