What do ducks need to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jlw0903, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Jlw0903

Jlw0903 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    Hello, I have 5 female ducks who are almost 18 weeks old (4 months). Some sources say they will start laying around this time. I know as days grow shorter production decreases but is there anything my ducks need to lay? I have a large amount of straw in their hut but do they need covered boxes or hiding places to lay or will they just lay any where?

Thanks!

casportpony likes this.
  2. Mama_Owl_3

Mama_Owl_3 Songster

Jun 26, 2019
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    I've been told by a fellow duck mama not to bother with boxes, they'll make their own "nest". Also that when they start laying, it could be anywhere and that it is possible you will have to hunt daily for said eggs. I have also read some funny/interesting stories on this forum about locations of eggs.:)

Texag87 and casportpony like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

What breed? My Runners started laying around 4.5 months and laid straight 18 months before taking a break. So you may have eggs through winter. Depending on breed. I was really surprised since all I had before the Runners an Buffs were Muscovy and they are seasonal layers laying from spring to fall then not laying over winter.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Once laying provide oyster shell in a separate dish once a week. New layers will lay anywhere so remove the kiddie pool. Provide a house with clean bedding and they figure it out.

Mama_Owl_3 likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

I suggest keeping oyster shell out all times they will only eat as much as they need and we never know when one might need extra.

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    I agree, free choice oyster shell 24/7.

7. Mama_Owl_3

Mama_Owl_3 Songster

Jun 26, 2019
    Lawrenceville, Ga

is it better to wait until they start laying before putting out the shell? Also will the males try to eat the shell to or leave it alone?

8. Miss Lydia

I saw my gander try it once but usually after the initial try they leave it alone. Of course they have to make sure it isn’t food. lol. My going on 5 month old Runner was nibbling on it some today she’ll probably laying here shortly. Here it seems once mating starts that’s when OS gets interested in.

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Male don’t touch it..only provide once laying.

10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    I usually put it out a few weeks before they start laying and I don't worry about the boys eating it.

honanbm, Miss Lydia and Mama_Owl_3 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: