What do ducks need to lay eggs?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Hello, I have 5 female ducks who are almost 18 weeks old (4 months). Some sources say they will start laying around this time. I know as days grow shorter production decreases but is there anything my ducks need to lay? I have a large amount of straw in their hut but do they need covered boxes or hiding places to lay or will they just lay any where?

Thanks!

Hello, I have 5 female ducks who are almost 18 weeks old (4 months). Some sources say they will start laying around this time. I know as days grow shorter production decreases but is there anything my ducks need to lay? I have a large amount of straw in their hut but do they need covered boxes or hiding places to lay or will they just lay any where?

Thanks!

I've been told by a fellow duck mama not to bother with boxes, they'll make their own "nest". Also that when they start laying, it could be anywhere and that it is possible you will have to hunt daily for said eggs. I have also read some funny/interesting stories on this forum about locations of eggs.:)

What breed? My Runners started laying around 4.5 months and laid straight 18 months before taking a break. So you may have eggs through winter. Depending on breed. I was really surprised since all I had before the Runners an Buffs were Muscovy and they are seasonal layers laying from spring to fall then not laying over winter.

I saw my gander try it once but usually after the initial try they leave it alone. Of course they have to make sure it isn’t food. lol. My going on 5 month old Runner was nibbling on it some today she’ll probably laying here shortly. Here it seems once mating starts that’s when OS gets interested in.

Back
Top Bottom