What do foxes do?

DianeS

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Oregon
I couldn't think of another short way to phrase that! I would like to know what ways foxes go about getting to, and killing, chickens so that I can best guard against them. I have read all the "fort knox" ways of guarding a run and coop, but since foxes are the main predators around here I want to be sure I'm guarding against THEM.

Do they dig? Climb? Work in pairs to chase the chickens from one side to the other? Reach in and grab/harm chickens on the other side of the fence? Open doors like raccoons can?

And if a fox does get in with the chickens, how can I know it was really a fox and not something else? Do they carry off the chickens, or eat them there? Leave feathers behind? Leave parts of the chicken behind? How does a fox kill look different from a dog kill? (Since dogs are probably the #2 predator around here.)

Thanks in advance!

They are good diggers and can jump fences. They also have strong jaws, to go through flimsy wire, if need be. They will often carry off a chicken. They may hunt during the day, not just at night. Any coop and run that can keep out raccoons and dogs, will keep out foxes.

Foxes can climb and unless they are startled will carry off their kill. If tkey do it at night, there is usually no evidence of the kill except where they got in at.

It also depends on what kind of foxes you have. Grey foxes can climb, dig, and destroy things, but red foxes are much more likely to dig. If you have both in your area, make sure your areas are secure top to bottom!

Back
Top Bottom