What do geese do when they encounter snakes?

Going Bhonkers

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
SW Florida
I'm not talking about baby goslings (i know they turn into dinner
sad.png
), but geese that are feathering, and older.

Being curious animals, will they want to get a closer look, or do they know to run away??

And can geese kill snakes, or is that a talent limited to warrior chickens?

None of the geese I've owned ever encountered a snake, but any snakelike object on the ground (bent stick, wire, and especially garden hose) makes them wary. They will hiss at it and carefully make a wide berth around it. A moving garden hose (when I'm reeling it in) makes them shriek, hiss and run away fast.

I'm not talking about baby goslings (i know they turn into dinner
sad.png
), but geese that are feathering, and older.

Being curious animals, will they want to get a closer look, or do they know to run away??

And can geese kill snakes, or is that a talent limited to warrior chickens?
Yesterday we had a 4' blk snake in the lot and the ducks/chickens just stood their looking as I picked it up by the tail to toss it over the fence, my gander turn threw his wings out and ran for his life..
lau.gif
I don't see him protecting anything from a snake.

He don't have to with you around. Seriously you picked it up by the tail and threw it. You are my hero, protector of all...lol
Thats funny because I think geese are big cowards anyway. they just act tough, One time about a month ago we had a 6 ' blk snake in the coop and one of my ducks is sitting on eggs in there, I was hollering for my dh but he was on the phone and either didn't hear me or ignored me anyway I had to pick that snake up and carry it down the driveway before tossing it over the bank it was longer than I am tall at 5'3" I realized right then there are just some things you have to do to protect your babies.. They grow big and thick here in these mountains. [blk snakes that is]

Back
Top Bottom