What do I call this coloring?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peeppeeppeep, Mar 3, 2011.

1. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I hope someone can help me out! This is a blue something marans rooster but it doesn't look like any of the other blue marans varieties I have seen. My girls are blue splash and they came from the same hatch. I would just like to know what to call this rooster (besides Rod Stewart. Doesn't he look like a rock star?).

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's a Blue Birchen, although like most Blue Birchens out there, he's poorly colored and has gold in there.

3. piccolini

piccolini Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Haha he does look like a rock star. As far as I know this is called "Lavender Calico" but I'm only saying that because there were some silkies that I saw pics of that were the same color being advertied as this color.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    He's handsom! [​IMG] [​IMG].

Wicked sharp spurrs aswell!

AC

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:There are no Lavender colors in Marans, in fact few breeds have the Lavender gene. [​IMG] Silkies are notoriously known for having a LOT of colors, many of them with "hobby names" such as Lavender Calico.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Pretty roo, I have a bantam roo that is almost that exact color. [​IMG]

7. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Poorly colored Birchen, huh? Well I think he is gorgeous!! [​IMG] I like the gold in his feathers.

Thank you for letting me know! That explains why I couldn't find a photo to match him.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you're not breeding him to be standard-perfect, then the poor coloring doesn't matter. [​IMG] I just say it to explain why he wouldn't look like a normal Blue Birchen.

9. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    No worries, Ilia. I love Rod no matter what. I think he's sexy (unlike the real Rod Stewart!). He's got even more gold in his neck feathering in real life - looks just like a bleached rock star. Plus, he is the gentlest chickenest rooster on the ranch.

Thanks again for helping me identify his breed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. americana-chick

americana-chick Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    I dont think his coloring has a spacific name sence he looks to have some sort of mix down the line or something.
    Very handsome boy though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: