What do I call this coloring?

peeppeeppeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Shasta County
I hope someone can help me out! This is a blue something marans rooster but it doesn't look like any of the other blue marans varieties I have seen. My girls are blue splash and they came from the same hatch. I would just like to know what to call this rooster (besides Rod Stewart. Doesn't he look like a rock star?).

rodstewart.jpg

He's a Blue Birchen, although like most Blue Birchens out there, he's poorly colored and has gold in there.

Haha he does look like a rock star. As far as I know this is called "Lavender Calico" but I'm only saying that because there were some silkies that I saw pics of that were the same color being advertied as this color.
Hope this helps
big_smile.png

Quote:
There are no Lavender colors in Marans, in fact few breeds have the Lavender gene.
smile.png
Silkies are notoriously known for having a LOT of colors, many of them with "hobby names" such as Lavender Calico.

Poorly colored Birchen, huh? Well I think he is gorgeous!!
big_smile.png
I like the gold in his feathers.

Thank you for letting me know! That explains why I couldn't find a photo to match him.

If you're not breeding him to be standard-perfect, then the poor coloring doesn't matter.
smile.png
I just say it to explain why he wouldn't look like a normal Blue Birchen.

No worries, Ilia. I love Rod no matter what. I think he's sexy (unlike the real Rod Stewart!). He's got even more gold in his neck feathering in real life - looks just like a bleached rock star. Plus, he is the gentlest chickenest rooster on the ranch.

Thanks again for helping me identify his breed.

Last edited:
I dont think his coloring has a spacific name sence he looks to have some sort of mix down the line or something.
Very handsome boy though!

Back
Top Bottom