What do I do about catching a predator?

I’ve been trying to catch otters since they’re killed two of my ducks but I haven’t been able to get them in a trap. I’ve just had to watch for them and shoot them
I recently watched a video on YouTube about someone who trapped an otter. I'll have to look for it because I did not save it.

The bobcat killed 14 birds one night. It dug under a fence. It made the mistake of coming back. This fox dug under a pen gate and killed several birds. I then put electric wires around the coops and pens and concrete under the gates. IMG_3312.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

This owl killed some birds. I then put some good heavy duty netting over all of the pens. It's a Great Horned Owl. First I used fishing line crissed crossed over the pens but it got through it and killed some birds. The only thing I could figure out is that the predator had to be going over the fence because there were no other breaches so I put a couple of cameras up.
PRMS0002.JPG

Have any of you caught hawks or how do you deal with them?
Hawks are federally protected, so the only legal way to deal with them is exclusion - keep your chickens in a covered run. If you choose to free range, make sure your chickens have plenty of cover, and keep in mind that you will eventually suffer a predator loss. (I’m not against free range. I free range my own chickens.)

Have any of you caught hawks or how do you deal with them?
Not really. I had a Red Tail get into a pen once and go on a killing spree. I did from the outside of the pen loosen the netting and opened it enough for the hawk to get out and fixed the breach. It killed several birds and injured several other of which some died within the next couple of days. It was hard to work with the birds because they were so freaked out. These were the the birds I pulled out of the pen. Pullets not far from starting to lay.

Attachments

• IMG_20190911_173150.jpg
    IMG_20190911_173150.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom