What do I do...Biggest Ice Storm in Ky In YEARS....

sorry if i am missing something,,,but does everyone feed a handful of food several times a day and just a small cup of water? I have a hanging feeder that i fill half way up,,, maybe 3 gallons worth of food and a hanging 5 gallon waterer,, this last for at LEAst a week if not more,,, i usually dump the water out every few days to keep it fresh...

sorry to hear about the ice storm....has got to make every thing tougher...

Hey n2h20 it is the water freezing that makes you take several trips out to check on them. And the cold weather worries you and you make sure they are warm enough to survive.
There in Ca. you don't have the same worries as us "northerners". I have to shovel paths to make it out to mine and we lucked out here in upper Indiana the ice was further south. Experienced the frozen doors and windows frozen wide open and fun fun fun.....
sad.png

For just a thin coat of ice, the Yak-trax little rubber shoe grippie things are pretty successful. HOWEVER, and I've been waiting for this day for a looong time, if it's _really_ bad then cramp-ons would be a lot of fun...provided you have a pair of course...failing that the grit/sand suggestion also works.

Good luck! I'm glad you still have power!

-Christian

If the power is out. No water heating, so you have to lug water. just try lugging water over an icey driveway or walking path. You pray you don't fall and if you do you hope the water doesn't dump on you......cold

how about rock salt, kitty litter, grit, sand
hu.gif
throw it out in front of you as you go.... instant traction all the way to the chickens. Use a mixture of salt/sand salt/litter salt/grit to help melt the ice.

Hope you can get to your girls.

hmm i can see that, it gets down to 30 here and i worry,, they are all warm and snug, so i guess 10 -0 and below would cause some concern, i probably would worry quit a bit too... hope the power stays on for you.
we once had no power for 3 days and temps in the 30's.. that was tough,, i respect you all who do that yearly and more than once,,,
wink.png

The day after Christmas we got ice and the only way to the coop and the barn was to take baby steps. My dh and I felt like elderly people. But we got the job done.

Well, I think we can read something into the silence from TeresaAnn since yesterday at 6:29 pm.

We can also read the Associated Press: "Kentucky state officials reported at least 104,000 customers with no electricity as ice up to 1.5 inches thick broke tree limbs."

We're here sending good thoughts your way, TeresaAnn.

About 15 years ago, there was an ice storm here that damaged almost every single tree and brought down lines. It left people without power for 3 weeks - even in the cities and towns. (Spooky driving night after night thru residential neighborhoods.
hmm.png
) I was lucky here at home but ALL the houses across the road lost "one leg" of their electricity. The folks had lights, at least, but no 220. About a mile away, it was the dark ages.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom