What do I do-chickens have fowl pox

deidreschultz

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Melbourne, FL
They have warts on their combs. I thought nothing of it. Then I saw a post about fowl pox and how sick they were. My don't act sick at all so I dismissed it. I starting looking into it. I found pics and it looks just like mine. They have black warts. They still don't act sick. I saw there's no treatment. Do you just do nothing? They totally act fine, appear to be fine in every way, still eating, crowing, mating, and laying. They have had the warts for a while. I thought maybe they had the dry pox, but the pics of those birds were white. How long before they start start getting sick. Will they for sure get sick? If not will the warts go away? I just can't believe it. I take very good care of them. I just can't believe they're all sick.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, what is going on? I am reading alot of posts about this illness lately.

How are they getting this? Where is it coming from and how do we prevent it?

I am sorry that your birds are sick, and if you look a day or so back in posts you will find some answers to any questions you may have.

You are not alone with this virus.

Fowl pox is usually spread by mosquitos. The best thing you can do right now is keep a close eye on them and make sure they eat and drink so they can fight this off. Give them really nutritious foods like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt (no artificial sweetners) chopped greens (I use frozen chopped spinach) and if you have one available they love a cut open pumpkin. Tons of vitamins in pumpkins.

You can use iodine on the lesions or Listerine. Both will help them dry up. Use a Q-tip to dab the medicine on. Whatever you do don't take off any scabs because it will bleed and could spread the pox.

Do anything you have to do to keep them eating and drinking. If they have wet pox (pox in their mouths) they will not feel like eating and could die. If they do have sores in their mouths dab them with the Listerine and not iodine.

Give them lots of TLC:)

Fowl pox IS spread by mosquitos. With this being one of the wettest summers on record, the incidence of fowl pox has become greater. I have had them here on the farm for a month now. It is a slow spreading disease so as soon as some healed, somemore got it. I've still got turkeys with them. There's not much you can do but wait for it to run its course. There is a vaccine but it is not recommended unless the pox becomes a problem on your farm. Just make sure to check there mouths for wet pox, they can cut off airways, prevent them from eating and drinking. I've had a few die due to the wet pox.

Thank goodness I found this forum, I was very alarmed to find all 16 of my chickens with these black spots! I am in southwest Mississippi and yes the skeeter population this year is extreamly bad! Every time I go out to feed my chickens at least one bites me. Thanks to those that have offered infomation. To those that have this virus GOOD LUCK! I am headed to the market now to get a nice pumpkin!

Mack

Most of my birds seem able to recover from the dry fowl pox just fine all on their own and then form their own immunity to it for the rest of their lives. It's always the young birds less than a year old who are affected each summer. There was only one summer that some chicks developed the wet pox here, and died from it. Perhaps if I had been more aggressive in treating the lesions in their mouths I could have spared them.

Good nutritious food is always beneficial, and may help them recover faster from this pox. But I don't think it's any cause for panic.

An old experienced chicken keeper here recommends dabbing black liquid shoe polish on the lesions.

so if i have this right they won't have any problems unless they get it in their mouth. how long will they have the warts? mine have had them along time.

Quote:
They do love pumpkin - absolutely gorge themselves on it! Another thing you can give them - a real treat. I buy one of those large spaghetti squashes, cut it in half, loosen the seeds and strings around the center with a knife, then chop it up. I then add fresh plain yogurt until it is overflowing the squash boats. On top of that I add flax seeds and wheat germ. Sometimes I add chopped apples or chopped peanuts. You can add peanut butter to the yogurt too and some applesauce if you want. Anyway, I take both the squash boats outside and put them on opposite ends of the run. I wish you could see those chickens - they peck until there is nothing left...and I mean NOTHING! I find they love pumpkins, squash, and peanuts more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom