What do I do? If anybody has a suggestion, it would help

mamadukes5

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Easthampton, Mass
I live in Easthampton, MA and have had chickens for over a year. I went to the town hall before I got them and checked out the local ordinances and was told by the guy in the building and planning division that I was ok to have chickens based on my zoning, no roosters, but chickens were ok. Yesterday town building inspector walked up to my back fence and told me they all have to be gone by April 5 because I'm zoned Industrial and I'm not allowed to have them. I told him a guy from his office told me I was good, even described the room I was standing in and he said that was his office but I must have been in while he was out for hip surgery and whoever was there gave me misinformation, sorry, chickens have to go. Went to town hall, looked at the zoning map and I am zoned residential on the map, but all the computers in town hall say I'm industrial. Same guy who was here yesterday said that the map is wrong, his computer is right and the chickens have to be gone by April 5. I tried to file to get in front of the zoning and planning committee to ask them to change the ordinances or something, town clerk says I can't do that until I get the zoning issue cleared up. They have me chasing my tail here and I don't know what to do next. Anybody have any ideas at all where I could even start? The reason that the guy says he came out now is because one of my neighbors complained that one of my chickens was in his yard, but I'm not sure I buy that. The town clerk told me she's had a number of people in there this week with the same issue, so I think it's the town just trying to get rid of the chickens.

My experience with city hall (on a different type issue) is things move pretty slowly and it is difficult to know who you are supposed to be talking to at any given time. Do you have a local TV station that does consumer investigations, in my area we have 2 OnYourSide from channel 2 and they seem to know who to talk to for any given issue. Might be worth looking into and good luck. I sure hope you don't have to re-home your chickens.

we do have a local tv station that has a segment of their nightly news dedicated to consumer issues and I never would have thought of that. The lady who works in the planning and zoning department just got hired three weeks ago and she said she'll try to figure it out, but in case that doesn't work out, this is an option I can check into. Thanks very much, any options at all are better than what I had to start with.

You could also talk to your neighbors, if none of them have a problem with your chickens it might help sway your case with city hall.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but it's got me a bit worried. I am in the same area as Mamaduke. I don't have any poultry yet but have my heart set on getting a couple of female ducks. I want them as pets, not for breeding or anything and plan to keep them confined to my yard with a fenced in enclosure. I called animal control to ask if I needed any permits or anything for pet ducks and was told no, as long as they're not on the endangered list, which they're not. I'm worried that they may crack down on my pet ducks now. Do you think this is a possibility? I'd be heartbroken if they were taken away. Also, Mamaduke, I know it's past April 5th, but if you need anyone to help you with petitions or anything, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I hope everything worked out in your favor.

Back
Top Bottom