What do I do now that hen has hatched eggs?

mrsbeez

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
I've been searching on here for my answer, but it is getting dark and I still haven't found it.
My yr old hen just hatched her first 2 eggs!! Hooray! Won't my other hen go after the chicks? Do I need to move the mama and chicks?
Thanks!

Alot of folks will seperate a new momma and her chicks, just for safety's sake. Some adult hens (and roo's) will go after new chicks and eat them. Most mommas are great protectors though. My personal experience has been to leave the mom with her chicks in the hen house with the other hens, and I didnt have a single issue. But I would say, if these chicks are very precious to you (of course they are!
wink.png
) you might want to give them a seperate space near the others, but not in striking range.

Congrats on the new family!
thumbsup.gif

I have never had a hen go after another hens babies, Mama will protect them. Are they in a pen? I would keep them in a small area until they get bigger.

I've done it both ways and I prefer to seperate the new family for a week or two, just so the chicks can get a strong start. If you only have a few other hens, it probably won't be an issue, but I've had accidents happen and to be absolutely safe, I like to seperate the new family to a large dog crate, rabbit cage, old brooder, etc.

Back
Top Bottom