what do i do now?!?!

datchiikasam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
So, im sitting in the house watching tv and suddenly get the feeling to look outside, as i look i see a hawk standing over a white looking thing first tought was it had my cat as i ran outside to chase after it it didnt move, just looked at me and kept on what it was doing, so i grabed a shovel and swung at it and it flew off and had the white object in its claws, then as it got to the middle of the yard it dropped it and flew off and i noticed it was one of my biggest hens, took its head straight off ): my fav hen as well. this thing was huge and i live in the city, expected a dog or cat but never a hawk, what do i do or what can i do to keep my other chickens safe?

Last edited:
Oh, soooo upsetting! I am sorry you had to see that. We have hawks where I live, and I'm in the country. Do your chickens have a fenced in chicken run? If you can, put some poultry netting over the top. Some people will hang CDs around and I guess the swinging and sparkling of the CD will deter them. I've never done that.

I lose about one hen a year due to a hawk. Now that you've seen one, he will be back, so keep them locked in the coop/run for a while. I usually only see the hawks in the early morning/afternoon, so I let mine out later in the day, which seems to help.

Hawks and birds of prey are everywhere now-a-days.

So sorry for your loss,
Sharon

String fishing line or do what i did spend 3 hours weaving together bird netting. Lowes/TSC has this for about $15. Once you get one ....it will NOT leave till you close the buffet! Had the same problem this week .... good luck!

Some people will hang CDs around and I guess the swinging and sparkling of the CD will deter them.

Tried stringing CDs and strips of material across the meadow to no effect - except the locals thought there was going to be a party! What has worked - and so well I've ordered another - was a decoy owl. This doesn't scare the hens, they seem oblivious to it, in fact they seem to follow it around as I move it from time to time. There'll be one in the garden and one in the meadow. Seem to have a lot of owls though...​

Hmmm....hawks never come down when you are outside to see them. how about a mannequin or "scarecrow" set near the coop/run.

i removed the body and buried it but there was still feathers all over the yard, well im outside changing the chickens water and it just lands not 20 feet away from me and starts eating chicken feathers=/ this thing was not a bit scared of me, so im scared to let the chickens out perioud now, i guess ill just have to upgrade the coops and make them larger.

Last edited:
I put a huge net over the top of the whole enclosure. Was a huge pain in the tail feathers, but well worth it! I have seen several hawks swoop down and then suddenly change direction when they get close to the net. Sorry for your loss and good luck!

So just go with the netting then? I had a hawk attack too, or attempted attack. It got tangled in the netting. As I was running outside to make sure all chickens were okay and hopefully scare the hawk off I kept thinking what in the heck was I going to do with this tangled up hawk?! It luckily untangled itself and flew off, but was circling over the front yard. Not sure if it was looking for the one chicken who had run towards my house or for the squirrels that live in the tree out front. Will it be discouraged now because it got tangled? I do like to let my chickens out to roam our back yard when we are home and dogs are all in the house or in their kennels, but will be keeping them in their chicken yard for a while!

I'm so sorry for your loss would put fishing line like they do to keep seagulls out of resteraunts by the shore. Good luck
fl.gif

Quote:
It will certainly be more careful since it's gotten tangled and will be a bit discouraged. But they won't leave completely. They are in the area and even if not eating your chickens, they'll cruise by from time to time hunting. And if they see an opportunity they'll give it a try. But more carefully than before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom