What do I do? Really stuck, please help!

For what it is worth I only ever use a plate - the chicks put their backs on it and warm up. How about you keep the two chicks in the same box but separate with hardware cloth or other mesh - so they can see each other but not actually harm each other. That is how you would integrate them with bigger chickens - sort of 'see no touch' period until they get used to each other.
It worries me cause the plate just doesn’t warm up the box at all, even placing my hand underneath the tissue on the floor is practically cold. So unless I need to lower it some more I really don’t know. What do I do about the rest of the box being cold? I’ve just separated them from sharing the same brood but I had a cardboard cutout in the middle. The cage is quite high so it’s hard to part it without the chicks pushing it over. I’ll try find something that’s see through.

Also
It worries me cause the plate just doesn’t warm up the box at all, even placing my hand underneath the tissue on the floor is practically cold. So unless I need to lower it some more I really don’t know. What do I do about the rest of the box being cold? I’ve just separated them from sharing the same brood but I had a cardboard cutout in the middle. The cage is quite high so it’s hard to part it without the chicks pushing it over. I’ll try find something that’s see through.
You could line the box with fleece that can help.

Attachments

• 80CE5623-7977-41AF-BD8C-E07DFA837CDE.jpeg
    80CE5623-7977-41AF-BD8C-E07DFA837CDE.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes I know your suppose to start them off at 100 to 95 degrees but sometimes they like it a little colder I just went through the previous thing with my chicks for what ever reason the needed it cooler and were yelling at me

Yes I know your suppose to start them off at 100 to 95 degrees but sometimes they like it a little colder I just went through the previous thing with my chicks for what ever reason the needed it cooler and were yelling at me
The one with the lamp is happily asleep under it though. The one I’ve separated is squeeling at me, and the glow plate it’s under doesn’t even admit much heat

have a bit of a dilemma I need some help with please!

I got given what I thought were two Muscovy ducks however one hatched and turned out to be a chicken. The other one which is a Muscovy is still incubating. Set up the brooder, everything going well except it’s constant crying and frantic looking around as if it was lonely, I’m running on 2 hours sleep the last two days due to the relentless squealing crying. I then took advice and got another chick, one day older from another farm. The original chick hated it and kept pecking it’s eyes whilst the other would stand and freeze and not defend itself. It started on its feet and would do it whilst it was trying to sleep and also steal its food. I separated them in the same brooder but with a cardboard cutout between them, the brinsea glow on one side and a red bulb on the other. I was up from 12am until 5am trying to get them to stop crying, had to eventually switch them over and turn the bulb off and use a hot water bottle for the other and it preferred that and fell asleep. I’ve woken up today and tried to put them back together to no Advil, it just won’t take to the chick. So I’ve put them in two separate boxes, one is calm the other is frantically crying. One has had a throthy poo just now, but the one after that was hard? So not sure what to make of it, and the second chick I’ve heard a few sneezes from? Both eating and drinking fine. I’m just lost with what to do now. Thank you
Can you post a few clear photos of your current brooder set up, the chicks and a picture of a thermometer sitting on the floor of the brooder under the heat lamp?

100 is TOO hot. 95 is also way too hot for most.

Back
Top Bottom