What do I do? They will not give me the ordinances...

missy_cbell21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
maysville, nc
I live in a very small city, there is not even a mayor. I have been to the town hall 3 times asking for info about keeping chickens and every time they just tell me that I can't have chickens so I don't need the papers. I asked if the ordinances were online and was told no then ignored.
I am at a loss for what to do. I am not a confrontational person by any means and I am shocked I have had the guts to go up there that many times. My hubby said he will go to the office and be the bad guy but I really don't want to do that.
I also have meat rabbits that are in plane view and do not know the laws about those. I started with just 3 and raise them more like pets but now counting the babies there are 15, so it's getting to be a bit much to hide or pass off as pets. My hubby says I am being paranoid but I have read of people getting big fines for having just a few animals they shouldn't have.

Sorry for rambling. well if anyone has any tips, ideas or a really good search bar that would be great. I live in Maysville, NC on the Jones co. side. It is within city limits but I don't know about the zoning codes or anything like that.

Your hubby is right, time to be a bit of a bad guy. If they won't give you copies of the ordinances, refuse to leave until they do. I can't believe someone won't give out public info like that. Are you new in town? Sounds like the people at the town hall enjoy giving grief to newcomers. We have some of those here too
roll.png

call the police department. Don't be specific but just tell them you were curious if what would apply. I called the police and did this and they were very nice and looked them up for me. When the code enforcement buy came and told me chickens were against the code I let him know they were not as long as the coop was completely enclosed and there were no roosters crowing because that would be against the noise ordinance. He left and did not come back. Police were very nice about looking it all up for me. Small town on a week night they had time on their hands I guess.

Quote:
Yeah we have been here just over a year. This is one of the small towns that don't want change, they are a bit old fashioned and that is what made me want to live here.

Quote:
That is the funny part, the police dept is in the same building with the town hall, water dept and fire/ems. They share a window and 3 parking spaces. lol

Quote:
Ever read of anyone in Maysville getting fined?

I hear on the radio late at night about people being abducted by aliens... all the time... I'm just saying.

My free advice: Stop drawing attention to yourself... go about your business... and don't get nasty unless they draw first blood... then go rambo on the town.

Quote:
Well shoot, what the heck is more 'old fashioned' than families raising their own eggs and chicken?!!?

I agree that calling the police (assuming there isn't a code enforcement office) and asking what ALL the rules are about animals. Don't specify, that way they'll give you all of it... maybe ask if you can get a copy. Then you will know about your bunnies AND chickens too.

If there is nothing on the books either way (small town may not have gotten around to it) then by all means do your do and if they change things you are grandfathered.

I would have already had chickens except that we have a 4' fence. I contacted a zoning lawyer and found out that it is illegal to have any chickens where I live. There are no laws about my rabbits though.
wink.png
The punishments are very lax so I am thinking I may borrow a coop and a few chickens and see how long it takes to get a warning.

Back
Top Bottom