What do I do? They will not give me the ordinances...

Maybe they won't give you the ordinances because none exist or the staff doesn't know where to find them if they do, and they do not want to admit it.

Quote:
just ask to see all city ordinances and then look up animals. poultry.....the reason they may not be giving this to you....there might not be any ordinances against chickens and if small town, there may be few or none.... ordinances are public knowledge and therefore if there are any you should be able to view.... if you get static ask who the city attorney is and ask him where and when you can see the ordinances. i would not keep mentioning chickens to any city employee, look first for yourself or if you create turmoil they may inact a poultry ordinance.

Quote:
nope, not in jacksonville anymore, just forgot to change when we moved. We are in Maysville which is jones co. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me though!
I have found a zoning lawyer and found out that is is not legal to have any chickens where I live.

Forget the lawyers. I work for a local government as the zoning administrator. Real simple, you asked for a written copy of the regulations, they refused. Here is a Link to North Carolina's Freedom of Information Act. They broke the law by not responding to your request. Raise chickens, if they try to stop you, pull the "Freedom of Information Act" violation on them if they don't give you the applicable ordnances after asking again in writing.

Back
Top Bottom