What do i do to my hen having an egg binding?? Plz help me

ppiyak

Hatching
Apr 17, 2019
My one year old hen has several symptoms of egg binding.

She closes her eyes and doesn't move and eat just breathes. And her comb is cold.

And i called a lot of vet but they told me they didnt treat chicken but dogs and cats.

I treated her everything i could like giving her warm bath(without epsom salt which i dont have), calcium and some oil.
And now she is on some hotpacks, wrapped by blankets to make her warm.

But she is not fine.

I wrote a thread about her diet just few days ago.

My family and i gave her fruits, vegetables, and a lot of live mealworms to see her happy face.
And you guys told me that wouldnt be good my girl.
So i stopped giving her any treatment, only gave her her food.

And... now in her crop there is nothing. It is empty.
So i gave her boiled egg yolk which she had loved to eat. she didnt eat so i made her eat.

I am so worried about her.
She closes her eyes and dont move at all just breaths.

She is my everything. She is my family. So if you have any idea or treatment, please let me know.
I dont know what to do..

How long ago did she last lay an egg? Can you put on a disposable glove and insert a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent to feel if there is something hard like an egg or if it feel soft like tissue? Have you looked her over for the presence of lice and mites? Is she able to stand and walk at all, or is she wobbly or walking like a penguin? Is her tail up or down? Can you get her drinking some water and electrolytes?

I am not doubting you that your hen is egg bound, but please tell us all the reasons why you have come to this conclusion. It may help us tweak a treatment for her.

Do you see any clear fluid leaking from her vent?
Do you feel any hard egg size lump under her vent?
Have you seen any yolk material in her poop along with yellow mucous?

The best treatment for egg related crises is to give one whole calcium tablet that humans take, not just oyster shell or egg shells or liquid calcium. Give one tablet each day directly into her beak. She will swallow it without any problem. This assists her in making her contractions stronger.

Next, she needs to drink lots of water to hydrate all her tissues. This assists her in making her tissues more elastic.

And heat is very necessary, so I recommend a heating pad on medium setting placed in your infirmmary crate with a warm, wet bath towel that has been thoroughly rung out in the washer spin cycle, placed on top of the heating pad. Then place your hen on this damp warm towel.

Be sure she has access to water inside this crate. Then let her rest quietly in a dim, quiet room. You can offer her food, but don't try to force her to eat.

How long ago did she last lay an egg? Can you put on a disposable glove and insert a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent to feel if there is something hard like an egg or if it feel soft like tissue? Have you looked her over for the presence of lice and mites? Is she able to stand and walk at all, or is she wobbly or walking like a penguin? Is her tail up or down? Can you get her drinking some water and electrolytes?
maybe she laid an egg two days ago. that's shell was hard, so I didn't expect she would get egg bound.

and about the glove,,, I'm worried that I make her worse, so when my father come home, I would let him do.

she lives in my clean apartment, so I don't think there is any mite and lice.

she can stand and walk, but not in common way. she walks wobbly.

her tail is sometimes up and sometimes down.

I made her drink electrolytes water containing ginseng(it makes animal healty) and calcium. but she didn't like drinking anything.

I am not doubting you that your hen is egg bound, but please tell us all the reasons why you have come to this conclusion. It may help us tweak a treatment for her.

Do you see any clear fluid leaking from her vent?
Do you feel any hard egg size lump under her vent?
Have you seen any yolk material in her poop along with yellow mucous?

The best treatment for egg related crises is to give one whole calcium tablet that humans take, not just oyster shell or egg shells or liquid calcium. Give one tablet each day directly into her beak. She will swallow it without any problem. This assists her in making her contractions stronger.

Next, she needs to drink lots of water to hydrate all her tissues. This assists her in making her tissues more elastic.

And heat is very necessary, so I recommend a heating pad on medium setting placed in your infirmmary crate with a warm, wet bath towel that has been thoroughly rung out in the washer spin cycle, placed on top of the heating pad. Then place your hen on this damp warm towel.

Be sure she has access to water inside this crate. Then let her rest quietly in a dim, quiet room. You can offer her food, but don't try to force her to eat.
1. the reason of my conclusion is that she had several experience of egg binding.

so whenever she took that experience, I added and added her food a lot of calcium which i bought from food store of chicken(i mean not for human). and that's go on till now.

(i think the reason she is egg bound is that she didn't eat her food containg calcium, because she wanted to eat fruit, vegetable and live mealworm which I had given her... )

here are her symptoms now.
she doesn't move, and closes her eyes.
her tail is up.
she walks strangely.
and she pooped a lot of liquid and poop.
she eats or drink nothing.

2. I saw the clear fluid in her poop
3. I think I felt something in her vent while bathing her. but I am not sure.
4. I don't think there is any any yolk in her poop. just little poop and clear fluid

I just did everything you wrote. I place heating pad and a little bit wet warm tower under my hen and electrolyte water nearby her.

and keep her dark and quite egg room.

thanks for your comment very much.

Even if you don't understand my English well, please understand me. I am not from an English speaking country.

Her crop is literally empty. Don't I have to make her eat anything?

You do not need to apologize for your English. You write and communicate very well, much better than many native English speakers.

This treatment almost always works for an egg bound hen. If an egg happens to break inside a hen, the symptoms are similar, but the treatment is the same. The only thing I suggest in addition to the above treatment is an antibiotic for the inflammation that can occur when an egg breaks. It can result in a serious infection. If you can locate an antibiotic and have it just in case this happens to your hen, with her history of egg binding, you could save her life.

No antibiotic is needed this time, though. But keep up with the calcium tablets or extra calcium in her food. You could offer her some soft boiled egg and I bet she would eat it. If you want to feed her treats, try to lean toward protein instead of carbohydrates. If she's getting too many treats with carbs, she can develop fatty deposits that interfere with egg laying and that could be why she's having this issue.

I'm so happy she laid the egg. You did very well for your hen. I hope she will be fine now.

Glad that she is not eggbound, and she is now eating. Hens can feel bad and walk around like a duck when they are eggbound, but also can do this when they have egg yolk peritonitis or other reproductive problems. Glad that she was just having trouble laying the egg.

Back
Top Bottom