What do I do with a aggressive ramming goat?

I raised dairy goats for over 40 years. In all that time I only had one buck ever challenge me. One. He was a not-too-bright buckling and he butted me. Once. He never did it again. He made me so angry I grabbed him by handfuls of hide and hair, picked up bodily and dumped him none too gently on the ground. He landed on his side in a mud puddle. I think I hurt his pride more than anything. You MIGHT be able to teach your boy some manners by spraying him in the face with water. You might try tying him up short and taking him out and leading him every day and otherwise handling him regularly. Another alternative is to put him in some type of enclosure where he can be cared for without going in with him. As it is, this animal is dangerous. You might remind your family who is dead set on keeping him that the cost of one trip to the ER will buy an awful lot of feed. Personally, I don't think this animal can ever be made reliable. The only reason to keep him around is if he was a valuable breeding buck. Because temperament is to a degree inheritable, even that is questionable. I think the best solution is goatburgers. Preferably before he injures someone.

Back
Top Bottom