What do I do with a aggressive ramming goat?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I have this buck that won’t stop ramming me, he rammed into my jawbone, knocked me over, skinned my finger, hurt my legs, knocked feed out of my hands, and he always does this when I don’t give him what he wants. I’m considering de-horning him because I was gifted a halter to control him but it only works until he gets close n rams me.
would he stop if we neuter him? Is there anyway to stop this?

Might lesson his attacks to castrate him, but probably won't stop it. Did I you raise him? Young goats that are played with roughly by humans often can display that sort of aggression at adults. That being said I do have a wether that I never played with but he still had a while there where he was coming at me at times.

Years ago we had a very aggressive buck that we got for free from an individual. We ended up culling him as he was dangerous.

Might lesson his attacks to castrate him, but probably won't stop it. Did I you raise him? Young goats that are played with roughly by humans often can display that sort of aggression at adults. That being said I do have a wether that I never played with but he still had a while there where he was coming at me at times.

Years ago we had a very aggressive buck that we got for free from an individual. We ended up culling him as he was dangerous.
I got him for free because he knocked over his old owner, so I didn’t raise him. But he scared me when he rammed my chin because he went for my neck. I hope I won’t have to cull him as well

I got him for free because he knocked over his old owner, so I didn’t raise him. But he scared me when he rammed my chin because he went for my neck. I hope I won’t have to cull him as well
I would try castration, and possibly dehorning. I would also carry a stick, or even a cattle prod for protection of you need to go in by him. What breed? An aggressive buck is nothing to mess with. You're very luck he didn't break your jaw, or give you a concussion. I put up with quite a bit from my aggressive buck before I realized it was just too dangerous to continue with him. Mine was a Nigerian dwarf. Small but very powerful.

I would try castration, and possibly dehorning. I would also carry a stick, or even a cattle prod for protection of you need to go in by him. What breed? An aggressive buck is nothing to mess with. You're very luck he didn't break your jaw, or give you a concussion. I put up with quite a bit from my aggressive buck before I realized it was just too dangerous to continue with him. Mine was a Nigerian dwarf. Small but very powerful.
Thank you,
And I think he’s a Nigerian dwarf Mix? I have no clue what he is but he isn’t small like the breed so maybe I’m wrong. He does have their type of horns though

Is there a reason you want to keep this goat? It does not sound like he would make a good pet, and I'm guessing you don't want to breed him (since you are talking about neutering.)

If you kill the goat and eat him, that is 100% certain to make him stop ramming people.

I’m considering de-horning him...would he stop if we neuter him?

Dehorning an adult goat is major surgery, neutering is also surgery, and there is no guarantee that either or both will make him quit. If you might end up having to cull him anyway, it would be kinder to him and cheaper for you to do it without having the surgeries first.

But if you feel that you need to try everything before you can decide whether to cull him, then yes the surgeries are very reasonable things to try.

If you're wanting to try things how does he respond to water? My buck can get badly pushy when there's girls in heat and having a hose or spray bottle with me is handy. Once he realizes I have it he keeps his distance.

Is there a reason you want to keep this goat? It does not sound like he would make a good pet, and I'm guessing you don't want to breed him (since you are talking about neutering.)

If you kill the goat and eat him, that is 100% certain to make him stop ramming people.

Dehorning an adult goat is major surgery, neutering is also surgery, and there is no guarantee that either or both will make him quit. If you might end up having to cull him anyway, it would be kinder to him and cheaper for you to do it without having the surgeries first.

But if you feel that you need to try everything before you can decide whether to cull him, then yes the surgeries are very reasonable things to try.
My family will not let me cull him or get rid of him, because he was passed from a close friend of theirs
Which is why I do plan to keep him I suppose.

If you're wanting to try things how does he respond to water? My buck can get badly pushy when there's girls in heat and having a hose or spray bottle with me is handy. Once he realizes I have it he keeps his distance.
He hates water, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that!

Here’s some photos incase anyone knows his breed

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1986.jpeg
    IMG_1986.jpeg
    720.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
My family will not let me cull him or get rid of him, because he was passed from a close friend of theirs

and I have him tied to the pole for him to hopefully calm down bc he threw enough of a fit to give me a headache

Looks more like a Carmel pygmy buck to me. He's good looking. Too bad he's so mean.

Back
Top Bottom