Gander Developing Aggression

Update:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm so sorry to disappoint but none of the methods I tried from this thread helped with this gander and his aggression increased and started rubbing off of the whole flock so they were all given VIP tickets to the freezer club.

The gander was 45 inches tall and 18 lbs by the time I made this decision - he could also fly a short distance and he was starting to jump me by flying up and landing on my back while the girls swarmed my feet to trip me. Not my cup of tea.

My ducks are absolutely thrilled that the geese are gone. They used to constantly scream in the middle of the night for no reason and have stopped now that the geese are gone; I think the geese may have been scaring the ducks in the dark. The ducks' happiness and the decrease in agitation from my cats and dogs makes me feel that I made the correct decision in regards to advocating for the masses on my little developing farmstead.

I'll try a different breed of geese again in the future because they were a delight but I need to be better prepared for their quirks before I have another go. I wish I had known about this forum when I was selecting my intended breed of goose; the anecdotes provided by actual bird stewards is much more informative than the little blurbs from hatcheries that say cute things like "noisy but gentle" instead of "brings the raucous and will attack your 80 pound dog like there's no tomorrow".
You could always try buffs, they tend to be fairly friendly but I’ve heard super Africans and dewlap Africans are much more docile than typical Africans, they’re pricier but might be something to consider if you like that type of goose.

Update:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm so sorry to disappoint but none of the methods I tried from this thread helped with this gander and his aggression increased and started rubbing off of the whole flock so they were all given VIP tickets to the freezer club.

The gander was 45 inches tall and 18 lbs by the time I made this decision - he could also fly a short distance and he was starting to jump me by flying up and landing on my back while the girls swarmed my feet to trip me. Not my cup of tea.

My ducks are absolutely thrilled that the geese are gone. They used to constantly scream in the middle of the night for no reason and have stopped now that the geese are gone; I think the geese may have been scaring the ducks in the dark. The ducks' happiness and the decrease in agitation from my cats and dogs makes me feel that I made the correct decision in regards to advocating for the masses on my little developing farmstead.

I'll try a different breed of geese again in the future because they were a delight but I need to be better prepared for their quirks before I have another go. I wish I had known about this forum when I was selecting my intended breed of goose; the anecdotes provided by actual bird stewards is much more informative than the little blurbs from hatcheries that say cute things like "noisy but gentle" instead of "brings the raucous and will attack your 80 pound dog like there's no tomorrow".
Im proud of you that is always a tough decision. I started with production Africans from the hatchery. I did get them appropriate homes when it was time for them to go. But there are so many great breeds out there and there personality's are completely different. I raise true heavyweight Dewlap Africans now and they all do well with my runner ducks. In fact my ducks break into there pens to steel there food. Do a little research find your forever goose every breed is different some are bred to produce some are bred other's are bred for the respect and love of the bird. There are some great breeds out there. I find geese amazing. PS I have only been bit by one goose in all my years and that was my production African boy was so happy when he left.

Back
Top Bottom