what do I do with all these eggs?

I made a nice spinach souffle tonight. And fried egg sandwiches are a big lunch hit around here. Or just boiled eggs for lunch on the go. Next week I'm going to make a strata.

There was a topic in the recipe section that explained how to blend them and freeze them in 2 and 4 egg batches so they can be used for baking later in the year when the hens aren't laying as much. I thought that was a very clever idea.

I dragged out my Farm Journal cookbook to check for some recipes. I haven't tried this but I will. It sounds simple, economic and good.

Eggs In Spinach Cups:

2 (10 oz) pkgs frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 tsp onion salt
8 eggs
paprika

Mix spinach with soup and onion salt. Butter 8 (6 oz) baking cups (I'm sure you could use muffin pan) and line with spinach mixture. Break 1 egg into each cup. Bake in a slow oven (325 degrees) for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Knowing myself, I'd have to add some parmesian cheese somewhere in that recipe. I have a recipe for meringue cookies that I can't find right now. It uses 12 egg whites and they come out crisp, light and melt in your mouth. I collect cookbooks and can't remember which one it's in. I haven't made them in a long time.

Good old deviled eggs will also use up quite a few eggs. Custard, chiffon or sponge cake. Pound cake and quiche all will help use those extras.

Grew up with eggs in spinach cups, they are good. Simple and fast. I keep the 10 pkg's of frozen spinach in the freezer for Quiche, anyway.
Forgot about Egg Foo Yong and I love it, thanks for the reminder.

I use a dozen a week for angel food cake, my DH is diabetic and it is the only cake on his OK to eat list. I make it with half sugar/half spenda, doesn't rise as high but that's OK. You can use a non stick Bundt cake pan to make it you have one. I use the yolks to make a lemon pudding/sauce for the Angel Cake.

I hard boil a dozen eggs a week for hard boiled eggs, creamed eggs over toast, deviled eggs, egg salad sandwiches, whatever.
I use 60 quail eggs a week for pickled eggs, some hen eggs if I need to use more up.
I don't feel like I have had breakfast if I haven't eaten my 3 small eggs (from my Buttercups) with 1 yolk (the other yolks go to the dogs).
Don't forget about tapioca pudding, a baked caramel custard takes 8 eggs, chiffon pies take 3 eggs.

I'm cutting back on my flock and am afraid that I won't have enough eggs. Especially now that I'll be adding Egg Foo Yong to the list.
Now I have to go look and see about strata?

Splenda's Angel Bites
5 egg whites
1/3 Cup Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 13 x11 baking sheet. Set aside.
Whip egg whites until frothy. Add Splenda, vanilla and salt. Continue mixing on high until medium stiff peaks form. Spoon rounded Tablespoons onto bakng sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Assemble Angel Bites by spreading a filling of your choice (I choose raspberry jam or lemon jelly). Top with another and you have yourself some Angel Bites.
Use them the day you make them, they don't store well but they are real good. I just make 1 batch at a time. They are fast and easy.

My Mississippi mud brownies uses a lot of eggs....my recipe is under a thread do a search for them with my username.....also ice cream the kind you cook uses a lot of yolks.

When I have extra eggs that I just can't figure out to do with......

I hard boil them, mash them up, shells and all and feed them back to the hens, they love them. Everybody here eats lots of eggs, the dogs and cat eat them fried or boiled, and the horses eat them raw, stirred into their feed. Everybody has nice shiny coats, feathers and hair.

NEVER throw away extra eggs
love.gif

How about egg salad? I boiled my eggs, peeled 'em and chopped 'em up.
Then just add some mayo, pepper, and Mrs. Dash's table blend seasoning.
It's delicious!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom