What do I do with my roosters? Having trouble trusting people.

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
Since I have to live in town for a year or so, I left my "real" chickens with family and bought some bantams that fit in my new yard a bit better. Out of eight chickens, four are roosters. I am willing to keep one, and put the other three on craigslist. The first person to answer the add saw our snakes, and immediately mentioned his constrictor. An alarm went off in my head . . . I went with my instinct and mentioned I would be willing to dispatch the chickens for him, so he could feed them to his snake. He said, "Oh no, my snake only eats live food."
I am certainly not against my chickens being used as food, but I am against them being fed live to any animal. Now I'm too paranoid to offer them on craigslist, knowing that other people may not be as honest as to their intentions. I've removed my craigslist add, so now . . . What do I do with them? I thought of seeking snake owners and offering my chickens, on the condition that I kill them first, but I feel as though I'm somehow robbing the roos of the slim chance they have of finding a home if I do that. On the other hand, in the belly of a snake is a better place than a neglectful home, and I'm finding myself getting more and more paranoid about that the longer I think about it (one reason I quit working at shelters was I was finding it increasingly difficult to trust anyone wanting to adopt). I've never had this problem before because I've always had large breeds that could go straight to my grandmother's freezer. I suppose meat is meat, so I could put them in soup or something, but still . . . they are so small, it seems like alot of work for very little, especially since they were raised as pets and it's always so painful for me to eat something I took the time to get to know.
I keep going over my options and can't seem to make myself start firmly leaning towards one decision, so I was hoping some different thoughts would help sway me towards a decision. I am thankful for absolutely any tips, opinions, or thoughts on this.

Oh, yes, for the record, the roosters in question are two BTW Japanese bantams and a black cochin bantam from ideal poultry. Frankly, the cochin is my favorite of the whole bunch. I hate it when I get attached to a rooster.

Oh, I wish I was near you and could help you out. Can you post pics of them here in the BST section? Someone might want to give them a good home! Otherwise, Craigslist is still probably your best bet - just be firm and specify that they are not to be killed or used for snake food...
Good luck with them!
hugs.gif

Im reluctant to make a dilemma out of this sort of thing. We have enough of that as it is.

If they have to go, they have to go. Get them moving and dont look back.

The way I see it you have only a few options...

1. Keep them on Craig's List and when people email or call,find out what they want the chickens for. Tell them you are curious because they are your spouse's show birds or something. Then decide to keep them or let them have them.

2. Keep them.

3. Contact your local agricultural office and speak with the 4-H and/or FFA director to see if any of their kids are looking for roos or those kind.

4. Let them go to someone else and do not ask, do not say, do not think...just move on.

or

5. Eat them yourself.

Sorry, I ee no other options. If you advertise "To be sold as pets only", the snake owner or whoever is just going to say they will be pets to get them and then.....

Good luck in your decision.

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but after working in a shelter the effects of neglect, abuse, or downright sadism really haunt you for a very long time. At least, that's how it affected me. If I could just ensure the death would be swift, or there's no chance of an abuser getting them, I'd have no issues. I've never had problems killing my birds myself, and I've fed my own snakes pre-killed chicks, but I really can't condone someone just leaving a scared little chicken in a cage for a snake. Birds are much too intelligent and aware of their surroundings for that not to be a horrid thing to do. No, I'm not anthropomorphizing chickens, it's simply true.
Thanks, Mrs. Brain, for your sympathies.
Cetawin, that's almost my exact list, except number 4 will never be an option for me, so I'd replace it with "advertise roos as pre killed reptile food," which is what I'm probably going to go with. Simply typing this out has helped me. It's easier to focus when your options are on paper . . . or screen, in this case.
Thanks.

Well, that's one reason craig's list allows an 'adoption' fee.

I recommend that if you don't want your animals to go for snake food, you always charge a small adoption fee of maybe $5-10 in the ad.

You can always waive it if someone explains what they are going to do with the roos.

This is a major issue if you are trying to rehome any small animal like a guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, etc.

'Free to good home' often ends up meaning 'free snake food...'

I'm not anthropomorphizing chickens, it's simply true.

Good for you. IMHO you are a step ahead.

Simply typing this out has helped me. It's easier to focus when your options are on paper . . . or screen, in this case.

Agreed. Ive also learned to be judicious with the post length. Short is normally best WITH RESPONSES, unless there is some bit of educating that must accompany.​

I like the idea of finding the local 4-h club and giving them to them. I wouldn't like the idea of live snake food either.

Or, you can wait until they're big enough for yourself to eat if you're not against that.

Back
Top Bottom