What do I do with my two Ayam Cenami?

Motherhen1165

Songster
May 6, 2019
One hurt its leg now leaves it up in air, other has splayed legs andeven though I brought her to vet and tried on 4 occasions to splint it did not work. I can't imagine culling them. I am ready to out them outside in their own pen . We are in southern Georgia. There are three of them . I sm worried about quality of life crawling around like that. Its very sad. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20191205_105940.jpg
    20191205_105940.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191205_105938.jpg
    20191205_105938.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 8
I made a splint for a chick with a paper clip once. I formed it the approx size of the chics foot and up its leg. Used water proof taper to hold it on. Little guy hobbled around with it but figured it out. Checked it every couple days. After a couple retape jobs an a week I took it off. Obviously had a birth defect but lived a fine life.

One hurt its leg now leaves it up in air, other has splayed legs andeven though I brought her to vet and tried on 4 occasions to splint it did not work. I can't imagine culling them. I am ready to out them outside in their own pen . We are in southern Georgia. There are three of them . I sm worried about quality of life crawling around like that. Its very sad. Any suggestions?
I'm sorry about your chicks.
To me, it looks like the chicks have a leg bone deformity.
Valgus Varus, Rotated Tibia or similar. Sadly, leg bone deformities usually cannot be fixed. It could have been due to parent stock nutritional deficiency, genetics or improper incubation. I'm sure there are other causes.
Some birds might learn to adapt, but may need special care all their lives. A flock may or may not accept them, they might be picked on. As they grow, the legs may get worse (more weight!)
With a deformity, sometimes there's other developmental issues that will come to light as birds mature.
You may be able to keep the worst 2 together in a separate pen and see how it goes?

Personally, it's not something you want to hear, but I have to say it - I would cull them.
Whatever you decide - they should not be bred.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Back
Top Bottom