What do I do with them?

They get off and on. One doesn't really realize the babies are missing. She's sitting on her eggs.

We checked under a hen today (one that was/is broody) and she had hatched another chick! We decided it would be best to take the chick away from her since we already had incidents with chick squishings. The newly hatched chick is still a bit wet and when we put her in the brooder the others pecked at her just a little to see what/who it was. The chick can't walk very well yet, but she's starting to get the hang of it. Any advice? Also, the chick is eating and drinking.

We checked under a hen today (one that was/is broody) and she had hatched another chick! We decided it would be best to take the chick away from her since we already had incidents with chick squishings. The newly hatched chick is still a bit wet and when we put her in the brooder the others pecked at her just a little to see what/who it was. The chick can't walk very well yet, but she's starting to get the hang of it. Any advice? Also, the chick is eating and drinking.

One hen gave up brooding after I took her chicks. But today, I found at least 2 chicks under the other hen. The chicks were still wet, so I didn't take them from her. I'm think I'm going to leave the chicks with their mother this go-round and hope for momma to do her job! The hen that gave up being broody is 'back to normal' and the chicks are all no longer searching for their mamas.

My hen now has at LEAST 7 babies :) The other chickens saw the chicks and no chicks are harmed that I have seen yet. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to let her raise her babies unless something happens where I need to remove them. I'm sort of glad I took her first chicks from her because she still wouldn't have been incubating these! So cute! I have 8 chicks from the broodies inside (from last week), 5 several-week-old chicks on my porch, 2 ducklings on my porch, and now the hen outside has at least 7 chicks! WOW!

we have a suspected Roo from a pullet purchase. we are petting and loving on him\her just like the rest. he\her isn't as easy to love on as our pullets but I want to raise as long as we can with him\her knowing who's boss. not sure if its going to help but I still hope he will lay an egg.

we have a suspected Roo from a pullet purchase. we are petting and loving on him\her just like the rest. he\her isn't as easy to love on as our pullets but I want to raise as long as we can with him\her knowing who's boss. not sure if its going to help but I still hope he will lay an egg.

This morning I opened up the chicken coop door and the momma hen came out. One of the babies jumped out with her and couldn't get back into the chicken coop! I got the chick and locked all of the chicks and their momma in the chicken coop so the chicks won't get stuck outside and escape. Also, one of the chicks has a leg problem but can get around. (It may be a slipped tendon because he's sorta walking on his knee/hock.)

Back
Top Bottom