What do I do with this opossom?

I'm sorry if it seemed that way on my part...

Most times on here, it really is about how to kill or trap an opossum... Lol very rarely is someone asking how to "help" one ;)

I don't condone killing innocent animals either. We have a bunch of the ratty things around here; I usually run out and scare them with PHOTO shoots :p But if they cross the line into "problem", too close to my coops, and I won't hesitate to shoot, because my animals are innocent too...

I had a really really bad experience with some illegally relocated coons taking out a very close neighbors entire herd of barn cats with disease, so I am an anti-relocation speaker and get my soapbox out at any time. It can be a very touchy subject, relocation.

You are going to need a proper coop. At this point, you may want to start a new thread, leaving out the possum ha-ha ;)

Last edited:
Ok, how about another perspective? I don't want to argue or try to change your mind about the possum, but give you a chance to see things from your chickens point of view...

Chickens are not 'wildlife', they are a domestic animal that mankind bred for specific purposes, their name is even gallus domesticus... they are a prey animal that does not see well in the dark and are literally sitting ducks at night... without a secure place for them to sleep at night, you are depriving them of a more peaceful, less stressed life... just as you need a home to be able to lock your doors at night, so do they... not giving them that is a form of neglect and abuse... you have a responsibility to their well being as you chose to raise and breed them... also, once that possum is gone it is just a matter of time before another predator takes its place... it is not a matter of if, but when the next will come looking for the all you can eat chicken buffet...

I hope this helps you see things from a broader view... I understand being busy, but this is a responsibility you chose, so sometimes you have to sacrifice something, somewhere, somehow, and make time... or rehome them to someone who can... good luck and I hope things work out in a peaceful manner...

I'm sorry if it seemed that way on my part...

Most times on here, it really is about how to kill or trap an opossum... Lol very rarely is someone asking how to "help" one
wink.png

I don't condone killing innocent animals either. We have a bunch of the ratty things around here; I usually run out and scare them with PHOTO shoots
tongue.png
But if they cross the line into "problem", too close to my coops, and I won't hesitate to shoot, because my animals are innocent too...

I had a really really bad experience with some illegally relocated coons taking out a very close neighbors entire herd of barn cats with disease, so I am an anti-relocation speaker and get my soapbox out at any time. It can be a very touchy subject, relocation.

You are going to need a proper coop. At this point, you may want to start a new thread, leaving out the possum ha-ha
wink.png

No, you're fine. Like I said, you were respectful about it and I'm completely okay with that. Unfortunately I realized a bit too late that I didn't really expressly state that I want to help, not harm, this possum, so that was really my fault as far as that goes, but it is frustrating when people decide to not listen to my wishes of not wanting to kill him after I've already said I don't want to harm him several times. Luckily for me he appears to be the only possum here, and like you I use to just scare him away because he really wasn't an issue until I saw him so close to my chickens. Shooting on the spot isn't an option for me since I don't have a permit for a gun, otherwise that option may have been considered, so trapping him was my only choice. And if I trap an animal, there's no way I can shoot it. I just can't convince myself to shoot an animal that's already trapped and scared
sad.png

Oh, I see. No, I don't know or remember if I mentioned it before, but I wouldn't relocate a wild animal or this possum if there was a risk of domestic animals/humans being effected. I'm fairly certain this possum is disease-free, considering how close of contact he is with our dogs and cats(Cats especially, the cats live under the house too, right where he's at) and none have gotten sick, but I wouldn't want to risk that anyways. Of course, there's always the chance that if I am stuck with taking him to a family member's land, he may cross over to a neighbors yard. I would really, really prefer taking him to a facility though, considering how friendly he is.

Yeah, I suppose I kinda need too now
lol.png
I was hoping to get two birds with one stone with this thread, but obviously that isn't going to work.

Ok, how about another perspective? I don't want to argue or try to change your mind about the possum, but give you a chance to see things from your chickens point of view...

Chickens are not 'wildlife', they are a domestic animal that mankind bred for specific purposes, their name is even gallus domesticus... they are a prey animal that does not see well in the dark and are literally sitting ducks at night... without a secure place for them to sleep at night, you are depriving them of a more peaceful, less stressed life... just as you need a home to be able to lock your doors at night, so do they... not giving them that is a form of neglect and abuse... you have a responsibility to their well being as you chose to raise and breed them... also, once that possum is gone it is just a matter of time before another predator takes its place... it is not a matter of if, but when the next will come looking for the all you can eat chicken buffet...

I hope this helps you see things from a broader view... I understand being busy, but this is a responsibility you chose, so sometimes you have to sacrifice something, somewhere, somehow, and make time... or rehome them to someone who can... good luck and I hope things work out in a peaceful manner...
The area was and has been secure for the past 5 years that I've owned chickens before the recent incidents. The chickens I breed and raise are kept in a safe, enclosed area, the only ones at risk are my big hens and roosters, who I previously thought wouldn't be victims of attack. Also, it's impossible to lock the doors at my home due to the ground constantly shifting(which is why we have dogs), so that analogy really isn't a good one for my situation. I am aware that I am responsible for them, which is why I'm taking care of the issue and not letting the possum kill my chickens. I've also already stated my intentions to build them a proper coop, so I'm not sure what exactly you're asking of me. However, like I said, I cannot do it until my finals are over in a few weeks. I do not have any of the resources needed to build a coop and there isn't a place in town that sells these resources. I do not have any kind of plan for what kind of coop I want or how I'm going to build it yet. I simply don't have the time to buy everything, plan, and build it and I cannot afford to sacrifice anything with finals being so close. I really, really wish that things could work out so that I could just "make time," but life does not work out that way. As for rehoming, that is not an option. I have 4 roosters and 3 laying hens in that pen. The laying hens will be easy, but nobody wants 4 roosters, and by the time I get all 4 roosters a home, I'll be done with finals.

There's a link in my signature, about using an old camper as a coop.... It was super easy, fast, cheap, and possum proof :D

And to use for chickens, you might be able to get a gutted one for free, doesn't have to be fancy, just functional ;)

There's a link in my signature, about using an old camper as a coop.... It was super easy, fast, cheap, and possum proof
big_smile.png

And to use for chickens, you might be able to get a gutted one for free, doesn't have to be fancy, just functional
wink.png
I actually really want to do that whenever I get a house with more land on it, but for now that isn't really an option
sad.png
I live on less than a half acre and in order to get a camper, no matter how small, into the backyard and into the chicken area, I would have to tear down my fence and rebuild it. Not to mention I have no idea where I'd put it
lol.png

I've never had a possum try to hurt my chickens. They love the eggs though.
I should edit to add that my chickens sleep up on their perches at night.

I also want to say that my free range chickens had plenty of room to run away from the fox but that didn't help them. I've seen raccoons that can really fun fast too. It's hard to keep chickens safe. I now use a baby monitor outside so that I can hear if they are attacked.

Last edited:
FYI Backyard Dove

you don't have to have a permit to own a firearm in Texas, only to carry a handgun, on your person, in public, not on your property.

I had similar problems when our five year old was against killing troublesome raccoons. I have to say, so was I. I had the same mindset as you did. So we found other ways. We put up nite guard predator eyes, automatic motion-activated sprinkler machines, beefed up our security, and left out peanut butter for the 'coons, they already lived in our yard, so we weren't attracting them, and let our dog out often to scare them off. It worked. We now have no problems with them or any other predator and it feels good to keep our property and animals safe without killing. On that note, I completely understand when people must kill humanely for specific reasons, but I prefer my method. Chickens are livestock and they are our responsibility. The second we get any sort of animal, it is our job to keep it safe. It does not however, warrant us to shoot anything that threatens them. Still, sometimes SSS is the most practical option. It was not in my case. So here's what I think: release the opossum and install predator eyes, automatic sprinklers, and possibly hotwire (electric fencing) if you can. Anyway, good luck with your opossum problem, good luck!

I had similar problems when our five year old was against killing troublesome raccoons. I have to say, so was I. I had the same mindset as you did. So we found other ways. We put up nite guard predator eyes, automatic motion-activated sprinkler machines, beefed up our security, and left out peanut butter for the 'coons, they already lived in our yard, so we weren't attracting them, and let our dog out often to scare them off. It worked. We now have no problems with them or any other predator and it feels good to keep our property and animals safe without killing. On that note, I completely understand when people must kill humanely for specific reasons, but I prefer my method. Chickens are livestock and they are our responsibility. The second we get any sort of animal, it is our job to keep it safe. It does not however, warrant us to shoot anything that threatens them. Still, sometimes SSS is the most practical option. It was not in my case. So here's what I think: release the opossum and install predator eyes, automatic sprinklers, and possibly hotwire (electric fencing) if you can. Anyway, good luck with your opossum problem, good luck!
That's a waste of money for me, but people have they're ways. I already said what I would do, and I'm going to continue to do that.

Back
Top Bottom