What do I do with this opossom?

BackyardDove

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Central Texas
For starters, we've had this opossum living underneath our house for at least the past few years. I know it's the same possum too because, a few years ago, for the first time, I saw a baby possum crawling on top of our privacy fence and it had absolutely no fear of humans or dogs. It wouldn't get aggressive, if he was spotted he'd just freeze up(not play dead, he just won't move) and watch you, and he'd only calmly move away if you got within a couple feet of him. Around that time is also when I began noticing something was making scratch marks in the dirt in our yard. We live near the heart of a rural town, but we happen to live next to a very small patch of undisturbed woodland-like area. And when I say small, I really do mean small, it can't be more than a half an acre. In that small area, a flock of game chickens lives there(They've been there long before we have, I assume somebody just let their chickens loose long ago). We've had several types of wildlife pass through, everything from possums to armadillos to rat snakes, but none of them have ever stayed put because the area is so small. Because of this, I never built an actual enclosed chicken coop. There was no need, the only predator we had when I first got chickens were hawks, and the area I chose made it impossible for a hawk to snatch up any chickens. Ever since I started breeding Silkie chickens, though, everything changed. That possom moved in, and about a year after him a raccoon moved in. I lost several eggs, chicks, doves, and even a silkie hen(Thanks to the raccoon). Since then I've enclosed the Silkie breeding area, reinforced the dove cage, and trapped/relocated the raccoon, but the rest of my chickens are still unprotected at night since they're all adults and are not bantams.

I decided to not trap the possum at first because he's never really presented an issue. He ate several chicks and eggs, but never harmed an adult, so I just enclosed the area that the chicks are in and let the possum stay. Well, last night, I caught him mere inches away from two of my adult, unprotected hens. These are big hens, but he's a big possum. I scared him off by hitting him with a piece of wood(Again, no fear of humans, so the usual methods of shouting and such had no effect on him..) and I set up a trap next to where he was at last night for if he came back tonight. And, of course, he showed back up tonight and went into the trap.

What am I suppose to do now? I set up the trap mostly to see if he'd come back, not really to get rid of him. He's been here for a while now, and I know that if I get rid of him then other, more aggressive possums might move in. I don't want to release him back into the yard either because I don't know if he'll hurt my chickens. I would enclose the area that the chickens sleep in, but I'm a full-time college student and final exams are a couple of weeks away, I don't have time to build anything right now. There's also the fact that he's eventually going to be evicted from his home(Aka, living underneath our house), since we're going to repair the damaged siding that he uses to get in and out from under the house. What should I do?

Ok, how about another perspective? I don't want to argue or try to change your mind about the possum, but give you a chance to see things from your chickens point of view...

Chickens are not 'wildlife', they are a domestic animal that mankind bred for specific purposes, their name is even gallus domesticus... they are a prey animal that does not see well in the dark and are literally sitting ducks at night... without a secure place for them to sleep at night, you are depriving them of a more peaceful, less stressed life... just as you need a home to be able to lock your doors at night, so do they... not giving them that is a form of neglect and abuse... you have a responsibility to their well being as you chose to raise and breed them... also, once that possum is gone it is just a matter of time before another predator takes its place... it is not a matter of if, but when the next will come looking for the all you can eat chicken buffet...

I hope this helps you see things from a broader view... I understand being busy, but this is a responsibility you chose, so sometimes you have to sacrifice something, somewhere, somehow, and make time... or rehome them to someone who can... good luck and I hope things work out in a peaceful manner...

Check your states relocation laws... There's a link to a thread with some in my signature.

Relocating could very well be illegal.

I simmer in an old crockpot and feed them to the chickens. ;)

Last edited:
This is my first time in this section, and a friend of mine linked me this thread because they know I hold a special place in my heart for 'possums.
It hasn't caused a problem? Except eating chicks and eggs? And now it was getting close to your adult hens? You don't think a possum would eat an adult? The only chicken I was attached to enough to cry over was killed by a possum. It maimed a few others, then kept coming back until I, too, trapped it. You know what's the best part of a have-a-heart trap? You don't have to use the scope.
Possums are evil little chicken nabbing creatures, and I have chased one down at midnight, in my pajamas, in the rain, with a flashlight in one hand and a .22 in the other. That was still easier than dragging one out from under a coop with a fishing rod and a treble hook. Then the .22
In case you're wondering, I am also against relocation
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I apologize if I have been misinterpreted.

I live in the country in highly wooded and treed area. My closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away with all others much further.

Fish and Game seems to agree with me if I were to choose to re-home the animal.
And if put down, to dispose of properly to reduce disease.

Well, according to Texas law.....
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...SZEDQU&usg=AFQjCNF-EaPZo9gIzUH4AcjA6a4InZQ7XQ

You have to have written permission from the owner if the land you want to relocate to or a permit from the state of Texas.

Really, dispatching it is the best option. Even if you do manage to get permission or a permit, the possum will probably die a horrible death in the midst of another predators territory...
Well, yes, but according to Texas law you also must give a written or oral notification of a crime to your victim at least 24 hours before doing the crime. Among many other things, it's also illegal to spit on the side walk here in Texas. There are lots of rules and regulations here, and as a result, most people and police ignore them. It's simply too much of a hassle to fine somebody for small things like releasing wildlife onto another person's property, mostly because of how hard it is to prove. Not to mention most of Texas is rural and literally nobody out in the country cares if you release wildlife, so long as it's not next to their house. The only "real" (as in, police will actually persecute) laws we have concerning ridding yourself of pests is that you can't kill it if it's not on your land. Otherwise, do as you please. Besides all that, I am attempting to contact a local wildlife facility that I took an orphaned deer to a couple years ago, and if they were unable to take him, I have family who owns land and won't mind having just another possum around.

And yes, perhaps my efforts are in vain and he will die anyways. I do not care. I would rather give him a chance to live than put a bullet through his skull simply because he was hungry and looking for a meal.

You can either continue to raise chicks, doves and hens for opossum food or:

1. Get a 3 foot live animal trap.

2. Trap the opossum.

3. Put the live animal trap along with the trapped opossum in a 4 foot barrel full of water.

Wow, that is the most sadistic way of killing an animal that I've heard of in a while. Congrats?

Well, in all honesty, you asked, on a chicken forum, what to do with an opossum.

I think it's a pretty good estimate if what most poultry owners WOULD do with an opossum. So I guess no more advice needed from me.

I am glad you do not live in CO, however, lol. I would be waiting at my property line for you to illegally dump him, shoot him, and turn you in.

I was trying to assist in helping keep you in line with what the laws are there, and to plead with you to not put the animal on someone else's property. It's YOUR burden, YOU take proper protocols to avoid being a bad neighbor. It was an attempt to help explain why so many if us are "sadistic barbarian possum killers."

Experience is why.

Give the thing to Wildlife control and wash your hands of it is my final "unhelpful" tip.

Last edited:
Well, in all honesty, you asked, on a chicken forum, what to do with an opossum.

I think it's a pretty good estimate if what most poultry owners WOULD do with an opossum. So I guess no more advice needed from me.

I am glad you do not live in CO, however, lol. I would be waiting at my property line for you to illegally dump him, shoot him, and turn you in.

I was trying to assist in helping keep you in line with what the laws are there, and to plead with you to not put the animal on someone else's property. It's YOUR burden, YOU take proper protocols to avoid being a bad neighbor. It was an attempt to help explain why so many if us are "sadistic barbarian possum killers."

Experience is why.

I asked what to humanely do with a trapped possum. I did not specify that I didn't want to kill him, so I said so later on. Several times. See my frustrations? If I wanted to kill him i would've done so long ago, I do live in Texas ya know and I know plenty of people who'd do the job for me. As for waiting at your property line and waiting for me to illegally dump him and so on, it seems as though you missed where I said that I am trying to contact a wildlife facility who may take him, and, if they can't and I have no other options, that I have family who don't mind an extra possum running around. What's illegal about giving him a wildlife facility or putting him on the property of a consenting family member? I appreciate you trying to assist me in knowing the laws and I respect that you don't want me to burden another with this problem possum, but I ask that you don't try to convince me to kill him. If you have differing views and feel that killing him is the best option, that's fine, I respect your opinions, but please respect mine as well by looking at options that are best to suit my interests, even if it's not what you think is the best option.

Also, I honestly really wasn't referring to you as being somebody who was trying to convince me to kill the possum/was being unhelpful. Yes you mentioned it, but you did it in a respectful way. People telling me of the various killing methods, their stories of killing, or how killing him is the only way is horrifying to me.

Last edited:
FYI Backyard Dove

you don't have to have a permit to own a firearm in Texas, only to carry a handgun, on your person, in public, not on your property.

Back
Top Bottom