*GRAPHIC* Any idea what could have done this to one of my hens?

I ended up burying her, but not sure if that will be an issue? And thank you, I’m suspecting now that it might be a possum, since they are common around here. She was one of three sisters that I adopted long ago 😞 a great hen indeed, and she loved jumping into my garden lol
That should be okay but I am just worried that the opossum might dig her up again.

Yes, she will get dug up if you don't plant her very deep. Critters can smell a whole lot better than humans. I would cremate her ceremoniously or offer her carcass to the trashcan (with a tight lid) until the trash truck comes by. The odor will bring many predators and scavengers to her place on your property.

I am sorry for the loss of your hen! ❤️🙏. I know just how special they are to their owners. if I were a guessing man, I would say possum. If it happened during the day, it most likely isn’t a raccoon, unless it is rabid or sick. I’m assuming your ladies go inside their run at dusk. Obtain a trap if you can and catch whatever did that. Again, so sorry!

I have several hens and one rooster. I usually let them free roam and haven’t had an incident in several years. We don’t have coyotes or foxes near here. I mostly cats, hawks, and possums. I went outside to check on the hens and noticed that there were a bunch of feathers thrown around near the back corner fence of my yard. I found one of my hens in this condition. Any idea what could’ve probably done this? I suspect it was one of the community cats. I’m thinking of getting a trap from the city, since it might not be the only time it’ll do this and might even come back.
View attachment 3692246
For sure not a coyote. Could it have been sick and flopped around before dying? Chickens will eat other chickens that they think are weak or injured also. I had one hen attacked bad by a dog, she managed to escape but due she had so much blood the other chickens began to eat her, pulling her meat & skin off. Foxes hide the remains, large bird of prey take off with a chicken if able to air lift. Possums remove heads first, canines rip a chicken like a rag doll and coyotes only leave a foot and few feathers as evidence, but coons can kill like this and other chickens/birds eat like this on injured or sick other birds.

Back
Top Bottom