*GRAPHIC* Any idea what could have done this to one of my hens?

Madi431

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Texas
I have several hens and one rooster. I usually let them free roam and haven’t had an incident in several years. We don’t have coyotes or foxes near here. I mostly cats, hawks, and possums. I went outside to check on the hens and noticed that there were a bunch of feathers thrown around near the back corner fence of my yard. I found one of my hens in this condition. Any idea what could’ve probably done this? I suspect it was one of the community cats. I’m thinking of getting a trap from the city, since it might not be the only time it’ll do this and might even come back.
IMG_6690.jpeg

Last edited:
I have several hens and one rooster. I usually let them free roam and haven’t had an incident in several years. We don’t have coyotes or foxes near here. I mostly cats, hawks, and possums. I went outside to check on the hens and noticed that there were a bunch of feathers thrown around near the back corner fence of my yard. I found one of my hens in this condition. Any idea what could’ve probably done this? I suspect it was one of the community cats. I’m thinking of getting a trap from the city, since it might not be the only time it’ll do this and might even come back.
View attachment 3692246
I have never seen anything like this before! I'm so sorry for the loss of one of your beloved ladies, I hope you figure out what did it so you can prevent it. I will be praying for your flock.

We have had coons and foxes get our chickens, but never seen anything like this. I am so sorry. Do you think it could have been a weasel or a mink?
I don’t think so 😞 We don’t really have those around here. I’ve been worried about releasing them now

I am so sorry for your loss!!!
This looks like a Raccoon or Possum attack. They will typically start with the head and work downward not messing with the outside of the bird. My guess would be one of those two - raccoons will reach through chicken wire to grab.

My experience with cats is that they will attack/wound and let the bird slowly die. They typically will not "eat" anything. Cats are one of the few predators on earth that hunt out of sport or fun.

View attachment 3692246
I'm sorry for your loss thats awful...I have chickens as well and cats and my cats never mess with my chickens. That doesn't mean it can't happen but by the looks of the damage done I would say looks more like something a raccoon would do...

Looks like opossums, raccoons or hawks - thinking opossums because they will only eat the guts out of something and chew on the neck like he has here - I would put the rest of the body in a garbage bag and send it with the garbage because you wouldn't want it coming back, finish eating that chicken, and come back for another. And before long it is just another after another....
Sorry for your loss!! I'm sure was was a great chicken!! :hugs

Looks like opossums, raccoons or hawks - thinking opossums because they will only eat the guts out of something and chew on the neck like he has here - I would put the rest of the body in a garbage bag and send it with the garbage because you wouldn't want it coming back, finish eating that chicken, and come back for another. And before long it is just another after another....
Sorry for your loss!! I'm sure was was a great chicken!! :hugs
I ended up burying her, but not sure if that will be an issue? And thank you, I’m suspecting now that it might be a possum, since they are common around here. She was one of three sisters that I adopted long ago 😞 a great hen indeed, and she loved jumping into my garden lol

Back
Top Bottom