What do I do???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NatashaRodriguez, Jan 20, 2018.

1. NatashaRodriguez

NatashaRodriguez Chirping

Jun 22, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    So one of the neighborhood chicken had babies and she got attack and I had to rescue her babies and I didn't mind taking care of them but another chicken had babies and I can't keep them cause I have too many chicks already ,before anything happens I want to capture her and her babies and relocate them, is that a good idea? Were would be the best place to put them??
    received_392273287879243.jpeg

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The problem with feral chickens is that they are vulnerable to predation. Realistically, it is population control. Only the strongest/smartest survive. At least she knows the area where she hatched the chicks. Moving her would further endanger her and the chicks.

3. Macho gallo de pelea?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A coop or aviary.

5. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'd leave her be or next thing you know, you'll be taking in all the feral chickens and be overwhelmed.

My neighbor's chickens free range. It's sad seeing the chicks slowly dwindle in number and the adults disappear too sometimes, but they keep getting more chickens when they get down to one or two. Same happens in the wild population. There will always be some that survive to reproduce and add to the population. Their chickens stay on my property most of the day, that's why I see the chicks and adults go missing. I did find a stray chick once during a storm and put it in with my silkie that had chicks because I thought one got out. Took a few days before I realized my mistake, but my silkie raised her and now I have a random game bird pullet.

I'm rambling, but my point is, let mother nature take its course.

lindalouly and chickens really like this.
  6. NatashaRodriguez

NatashaRodriguez Chirping

Jun 22, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Yes they alredy killed all the chickens including mines so this thread is now pointless, I think I might just kill this dog

silly4buttons and Mylied like this.
  7. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm sorry. :( Stray dogs have been a problem here too.

8. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Oh no. Sorry to hear that. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: