What do I do?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lorihadams, Apr 26, 2011.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    My neighbor just called my husband and said he found a wild turkey nest on his property but the mama is no where in sight....he wants to bring us the eggs to put in our incubator but I have never done turkeys before and we did not have a good rate with our incubator the last time we did duck eggs....we just couldn't keep the humidity up. I have two light brahma hens that are prone to broodiness though....do you think I could get one of them to sit on them if i separated her out with the eggs???

Lord, the things I get myself into.....[​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Leave them where they are at. It's not legal that I know of anywhere to plunder wild turkey nests. Mama may come back to her nest if it's not disturbed.

3. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    See, I told him to tell him that but if he shows up with eggs I don't want to let them go to waste....I would love to release them back into the woods behind my house.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Leave them. Picking up the eggs makes as much sense rescuing a seal pup from the beach, or a fawn left in the woods. Neither need rescuing, nor do the eggs.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Leave the eggs where they are. The hen will be back. They will be released back into the woods when the hen hatches them.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. ScrambledGreg

ScrambledGreg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    North Charleston, SC
    Yeah - when I'm out hunting I find turkey nests all the time...just leave it be and the hen will come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by