what do i feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shmooborp, Mar 28, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i have 10 7 week old buff orpington pullets and they are now outside*(in a two story coop) and i have them on chick starter and i was wondering if i should put them on a diffrent feed since they are getting older and they are pullets... any thoughts? and i was thinking about making them a run.. but i fear they will fly away. :\\

2. TaconChicks

TaconChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Pflugerville, TX
    You should feed chick starter until they start laying, then switch to layer food. The layer food has a different balance that the girls need when they are producing eggs & it is not good for them before they start laying.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would keep an eye your feed bag and switch to layer feed around the time the pullets are 20 weeks old. I use up all the starter feed by mixing with the layer feed for a smooth transitition of different feed and nothing being wasted.

bigzio

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

As far as the run, you should make a covered run. Humans aren't the only ones who like the taste of chicken! :eek: You can also clip their wings to keep them contained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by