What do I get when I cross a Rhode Island Red rooster with these breeds?

Eggzotics

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
I have a Rhode Island Red rooster and several different breeds of hens and I was wondering what the crosses would look like. Silver lace Wyandott, barred rock,black sex link,Ancona, buff orpington, White rock, leghorn, and brown leghorn. If you have pictures of these mixes please feel free to post!

I just hatched out some Rhode Island red rooster crosses. So I'm not to sure what they will look like in the further, but the feathers are coming in nice.

I can get pics directly of the wings and out of the light as well.

I also hatched out a RSL possibly to a RIR rooster. She is very pretty, I'll need to get a pic.

I have a Rhode Island Red rooster and several different breeds of hens and I was wondering what the crosses would look like. Silver lace Wyandott, barred rock,black sex link,Ancona, buff orpington, White rock, leghorn, and brown leghorn. If you have pictures of these mixes please feel free to post!

If you cross your RIR rooster with your Silver Laced Wyandotte, your will get Red Sex Links which can be sexed by color from hatching. Male chicks will be whitish and female chicks will be reddish. You can also get Red Sex Links by crossing your RIR rooster with your White Rock hen if your White Rock hen has the silver gene factor (some do and some don't). I've raised Red Sex Links for years and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You can see the differences between the RSL chicks and adults in the two photos below.
goldstar2.jpg

Whitish male Red Sex Link chick on the left; reddish female RSL chick on the right.

red%20sex-link.jpg

Googled from http://www.freyshatchery.com/images/red sex-link.jpg

If you cross your RIR rooster with your Silver Laced Wyandotte, your will get Red Sex Links which can be sexed by color from hatching. Male chicks will be whitish and female chicks will be reddish. You can also get Red Sex Links by crossing your RIR rooster with your White Rock hen if your White Rock hen has the silver gene factor (some do and some don't). I've raised Red Sex Links for years and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You can see the differences between the RSL chicks and adults in the two photos below.
goldstar2.jpg

Whitish male Red Sex Link chick on the left; reddish female RSL chick on the right.

red%20sex-link.jpg

Googled from http://www.freyshatchery.com/images/red sex-link.jpg

X2

I just hatched out some Rhode Island red rooster crosses. So I'm not to sure what they will look like in the further, but the feathers are coming in nice.

I can get pics directly of the wings and out of the light as well.

I also hatched out a RSL possibly to a RIR rooster. She is very pretty, I'll need to get a pic.

The black are crossed with Rhode Island red rooster and barred rock hen if I am correct. They are black sex-links. The gold is RIR rooster, not sure of the hen.

The black are crossed with Rhode Island red rooster and barred rock hen if I am correct. They are black sex-links. The gold is RIR rooster, not sure of the hen.
Gold (Red Sex Links) can be produced by crossing any red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, Production Red) with any silver gene hen (RIW, SLW, WPR, Delaware, Lt. Sussex, etc.).

We have a RIR rooster, a RIR hen, some Buff hens, some white hens and a black hen of unknown breed. We just hatched 8 eggs, and got 2 whitish/yellow chicks with small black spots, some redish/buff chicks, and 2 black chicks with white on their chest and wing tips. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Here is our black hen--if anyone has any idea what breed she is. She is the friendliest hen we have, she is calm and lays HUGE brown eggs!

Back
Top Bottom