What do I get when I cross a Rhode Island Red rooster with these breeds?

We have a RIR rooster, a RIR hen, some Buff hens, some white hens and a black hen of unknown breed. We just hatched 8 eggs, and got 2 whitish/yellow chicks with small black spots, some redish/buff chicks, and 2 black chicks with white on their chest and wing tips. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Here is our black hen--if anyone has any idea what breed she is. She is the friendliest hen we have, she is calm and lays HUGE brown eggs!
You're hen at the bottom looks like a black sexlink hen.

. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Here is our black hen--if anyone has any idea what breed she is. She is the friendliest hen we have, she is calm and lays HUGE brown eggs!
Also, BCM babies are black with white on them in places. So that explains the black and white one as well.

Interesting. Does the white, then, go away? The black hen pictured had zero white on her when we brought her home.
Did you get the hen when she was an adult? And the reason I said I thought she was a black sexlink hen is because she looks exactly like my black sexlink hens. But I don't have any black copper marans, just a cuckoo maran...

I still stand by my answer. She said it lays "huge brown eggs" I have several BMS's that dont have feather on legs*(and those that do only have one or two small ones) and as for the coloring, extremely common with backyard breeding and hatchery birds. Seen its TONS of times.

It's for sure possible, My BCM's are not hatchery birds and lay a very very dark chocolate colored egg. They have been my only experience with the breed. I said Black star because of the look of the bird and the description of the eggs. My Black Stars lay huge eggs that are brown, my marans eggs are nowhere near as big as those eggs. Could go either way, I'm no expert.

Back
Top Bottom