What do I have roosters or hens

Kath11

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2017
Whitsundays Australia
So I joined last night and thought I'd get some better photos this morning.
Photo 1 7 to 8 week Sussex
Photo 2 7 to 8 week Sussex
Photo 3 7 to 8 week Sussex
These are my youngest chickens.
Photo 4 Plymouth chicken 1
Photo 5 Plymouth chicken 2
And final 21 week Sussex.
Photo 6

Attachments

• IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    584.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    563.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5188.JPG
    IMG_5188.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5189.JPG
    IMG_5189.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 12
Sometimes you can't tell while they're young unless they start courting females, fighting, trying to crow, or generally just acting like a cock :p I'm with GloryFarm though, none really look like roosters.

Well another question can hens fight. The two Plymouths fight with each other and the 3 smaller Sussex fight between themselves. Also this is my other chook which Is supposed to be a hen but I've been told is a rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_5147.JPG
    IMG_5147.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 11
Yeah that looks like it could be a rooster, how old is it? If it's still young give it some months and it'll be obvious.

Yes females can fight some to establish and uphold pecking orders. If it's a new flock or has new members they may pick on each other for a while. Roosters tend to be more rough with each other and can actually engage in short flogging fights and chase each other around the yard, where as females tend to run up to each other and try to bob their heads higher than each other or chase each other shortly. That doesn't mean hens can't get nasty though. One time we did have a chicken who--overnight--had her scalp pecked clean by the others. She was still alive but her skull and bone was all that was on top of her head. She was our favorite chicken but was also at the bottom of the pecking order. We did what we could to nurse her back to health but she either died or my dad put her down, I don't remember.

Where did you get these birds from as some don't strike me as pure breeds. How old are the two barred birds?
I would agree with Gray Farms also. 2 and 6 are looking like the only pullets. 1 and 3 have far too much pink/red comb and wattle development to be anything other than cockerels at such a young age.
No.5 has male coloured (lighter) barring due to two copies of the barring gene. I think I can also make out pointed hackle feathers. Depending on the age of No.4 that comb and wattle development is very red and even though it has the darker barring of a barred rock pullet with a single copy of the barring gene, my gut feeling is that it is a mixed breed cockerel with just a single barring gene, so as suggested it may be a black sex link cockerel. At 21 weeks No 6 is looking like a pullet and the red bird is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, a cockerel.
You are going to need to figure out what you are going to do with all of those boys because it is going to get awfully noisy soon and they are going to make those two girls lives a misery once their hormones kick in.

Thanks everyone no 6 and brown roo came from a private seller who is more then happy to swap the roo. The others are from local farm supply shop. I have a buyer chasing the rocks so now I know for sure I'm going to ship them off. Then I will be down to 2 Roos.

Back
Top Bottom