1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do i have...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skyisfalling, Sep 14, 2009.

1. skyisfalling

skyisfalling Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    clarkson, ky
    i recieved 35 eggs from a lady here that i have hatched...17 made it...which i am fine with...i have no idea what they all are so i will have to post pics...but i have a bantam yellow chick that has five toes and green legs...does anyone know what it is without pic...thanks

2. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly Silkie? Does it have a bump on its head?

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Any idea what breeds the seller has? Are these supposed to be pure breed, or might they be mixed? I know Silkies have five toes, but don't they have black legs?

4. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies have blue legs. The poster might have mistaken them for black.

5. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Our silks have black skin, legs and beaks.Could be a polish they have a slate colored legs:confused:? Pics would help

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a bantam Cochin/Silkie mix chick that has 5 toes, but the leg/skin coloring of the Cochin dad. So guess the Silkie traits aren't always dominant.

Maybe a Silkie/EE mix chick?

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:Silkies have black skin and legs, 5 toes, and feather legs and feet...

There is really no telling what the breed or mix is unless you know what chickens the breeder has and if they all run together or are separated by breed... There are some pure breeds that have green(willow) legs as a characteristic, but you can also get green legs by breeding a chicken with black or blue legs together with one with yellow legs.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by