What do I need for 45 min drive with new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slahmswife, May 14, 2008.

1. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    I am picking up some 8 and 12 day old chicks on Saturday and was wondering what I need for the 45 minute drive home. I know when I pick up my day olds in June I don't need to bring anything other than to keep them warm for the ride, but what about older chicks?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They will both do fine for a 45 minute drive home...cardboard box or plastic tote with something on the floor of it to keep them from slipping around like a towel or paper towels..

Just have their brooder box, water and feed set up to put them in when you get them home...show them were the food and water are...heatlamp...

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Just a box to keep them in. They can go 45 min without food and water. Just have it ready when you get home.

4. slahmswife

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    I have everything ready now, brooder (an old large guinea pig cage), lights, food, water dishes and paper towel to put over shavings (pine). I plan on heating up the brooder when I leave in the morning, will it be warm enough for them by the time I get home? (about 3 hrs) And what temp should it be for 1 and 2 week olds? 1 will be 8 days old and 4 will be 12 days old.

5. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I'd start with 85 degrees then watch them to see if they huddle together (too cold) or move away from each other and the beam of the lamp (too hot)
    Usually if they peep LOUDLY that's also a signal that they are cold or that someone has tried to swallow a huge piece of paper towel.
    Good luck!

6. slahmswife

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    Thanks so much, I don't even have words to express how excited I am!!! But I am sure you all feel the same way when you are waiting for your chicks. It sure makes my month long wait for my 25 chicks more bearable.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Earplugs!!! [​IMG]

8. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Make sure you have a lid for whatever container you put them in, or they will be jumping out and trying to drive! [​IMG]

9. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    We use a ginuea pig cage to move chicks from where wwe got em, last time we had a brood hen and 7 chicks in it, and she cackled all the way home, 1.5 hour ride.

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    A hot baked potato wrapped in a washcloth and a cooler (ventilated) or towel wrapped box-works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by