what do i need for the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I-LOVE-INCUBATORS, Jun 4, 2010.

1. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

I-LOVE-INCUBATORS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    when i put eggs in the incubator do i have to put hay or anything at the bottom for the chicks?

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Sorry a bit confused do You mean brooder once the chick's hatch?What are you using to Incubate the egg's?

3. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    The incubator needs to have something grippy to keep the chicks legs from splaying when they hatch. Mine has 1/4 inch hardware cloth.

4. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    i wasn't planing on putting hardware cloth but can i put wood chips of saw dust in it?

5. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    I would think saw dust or wood chips would mold with the humidity. You really don't need anything in there until the chicks start to hatch. make sure not to put anything in there the chicks may think of as food. They will learn to eat that instead of the stuff they are supposed to be eating.

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    You're over thinking this. When you get your incubator follow the instructions.

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Are you using a comercial incubator or a home made one? Which ever don't add no type of bedding material in incubator.Naturaly hatched chick's by hen's will follow the mama's lead on food and water even though they are hatched in hay straw/grass or shaving's in nest box.Artificaly brooded chick's need a different type of brooding when hatched.

8. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    homemade incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by